EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Photos

• Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Learning Communities

Started by Allan Richards in Teaching and Methodology Oct 27. 0 Replies

Hey everyone!I am new to the forum and am curious how you feel learning communities benefit educators when it comes to developing a collective responsibility as educators. Do you feel a forum like…Continue

Implementation

Started by Christina Shepherd in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 26. 1 Reply

How does implementation help you out throughout the year? I am curious to know what things have worked for you and what things have not worked for you through an implementation standard.  Continue

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 19. 76 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Top 5 Game

Started by susie silver in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 17. 14 Replies

Hi David Maybe its obvious to some but I'm not sure how to play and I also want to create a top 5 game as well. What is the point of it. There are always 5 answers. Do the students guess according to…Continue

Tags: 5, top

Badge

Loading…

About

Hi David
Maybe its obvious to some but I'm not sure how to play and I also want to create a top 5 game as well. What is the point of it. There are always 5 answers. Do the students guess according to the topic and if they happen to hit the answer right they get points. For Ex: days of the week. They are not in order. So do they guess in group format and if they get the answer right, they receive points or if they are wrong the X comes on? I would like to use it.
Thank you

Games HERE.

Views: 934

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Susie,

I think the rules and explanation are in the game itself, go to the last slide.... These are probably the most popular games I've made -- even more so than any of the Jeopardy or others....I am partial to BAAM right now but this is also fun.

1. Divide the class into teams and appoint a scorekeeper. There will be both individual scores and team scores.

2. It is best to play with the scoresheet. Give one to each student and they place their Top 5 guesses there and calculate their scores. IF you play without the scoresheet, you have to right click and choose NOTES. This will show you the answers in a small box. Place this in the top corner and for the screen students use - blank it out. (I use a post it note!). Now the teacher can see the answers but the students can't!

3. Next, show a category. Students have until the end of the thinking song to write down their Top 5 picks for the category. Be strict about the writing after you call time! Reveal the answers in whatever order you wish. Students calculate their score based on 1=10pts / 2 = 7 points 3=5 pts / 4= 3pts 5=2pts. If their answer is correct but NOT in the right position, they get only 2 points. It must be in the correct position to get full points.

IF you are playing without the score sheet. Then go around to each group which guesses at the right answer. Reveal the answer if correct and they score that many points. They continue to guess if they get it right. Hit X if they guess wrong. Then the next team can guess. Start with a new team the next round.

4. Students calculate their total for each round and tell their group scorekeeper. The group scorekeeper totals and then this running total for each group is written on the board.

5. Keep playing rounds and totalling points. Play as many rounds as teams or double the number of teams.

6. Team with the highest total wins! Also there is an individual winner. I usually count up from 20 and each time, students who don't have that total, drop their hand until there is one person, the winner's hand, left raised.

I hope this helps Susie! Here are a couple games and find the rest in our Share resource area under Powerpoint games......

Have fun and report back here how the students liked it -- please! Or better yet, take a few photos!

David
Attachments:
I am confused, are these the 5 most popular or 5 moswt known? or what?
Justino,

As it says in the intro rules....they are from a survey of 1,000 people (internationally). I guess , the first related thing they think of when given the category title? I got these from an old Family Feud site......

Here is the worksheet for the above games. See all sorts of games in our SHARE site and on our GAMES page...like this popular Price is Right Toys R Us game I made.
Attachments:
David, I had no idea such exciting presentations could be made with Power Point! Your games are the only PPT presentations I have not been bored in! How long does it take you to make a game? Is there a good "how to"
tutorial around, or is it fine to just mess around and go? (I suppose I could just use your games as a template :) ) These games would be great to use in elementary classrooms too, and many classrooms have computer screen - projection equipment now... I'll have to go check out the jeopardy game...

I have a really old copy of PPT- things must have changed a lot since the last time I opened it up :)
Thanks Dave, that lesson was wildly popular, even with my adult class.
Hi David,

I'm sorry, but I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding the scoring system, even after reading your explanation and hunting for further clarification online.

"Students calculate their score based on 1=10pts / 2 = 7 points 3=5 pts / 4= 3pts 5=2pts. If their answer is correct but NOT in the right position, they get only 2 points."

What does the 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 refer to? For example, is the total number of possible points for a single student in a single round 27 points? As in if a student matches the #1 item, they will get 10 points, if they match the #1 and the #2 item, they will get 17 points?

Sincere thanks for your help David
Jessica,

Top 5 is best played with the scoresheet. And you are BANG ON with the scoring. Put students in teams and a captain adds up the scores after every round. Keep a team tally on the board. So at the end, you'll have a group winner and an individual winner.

But the scoring you describe is exactly right. the 1,2,3,4,5 represent the rank of each response of the 1,000 people asked.

Hope you manage! Students love it and it is a lot of fun.

David
Sorry, you still didn't answer.

We understand that these are from a survey ........ But what was the survey question -- just 'name 5 countries' or 'what are the 5 best countries?' or 'what are the 5 most powerful countries?' or what?

If I was a student I would want to know what the question was so that I could answer intelligently. I may think Italy is an awesome country, but know that it's not powerful-- the reverse is maybe true for China etc.

Awesome job though, thanks.
Jonathan,

I know there is "ambiguity" in the lists. However, they were done by interviewing people on the street of various international countries.

The lists or "Top 5" are for no specific category -- just what came off the top of people's heads when the category was mentioned. Each person would think differently.

I hope you get what I mean.... In any case, it is a great vocabulary game but I do see how "some" students might get frustrated. Most though, catch on and see how it is a list "in general".
Ok thanks.
I did this with my middle school kids (even though I was skeptical at first) and it was a great hit. Especially when I divided them up into teams. They love competition.
What I do is put my students into teams, and they use one worksheet per team. Then I award points like this:

One point per answer that's on the list
Two points if the answer is in the right place

I just tell the students too that the answers are based on surveys of 1000 North Americans. So, I deleted the K pop slide in the game because it doesn't seem to make sense that North Americans would know that... I also updated the movies slide, but just guessing what sort of movies the kids would know... and I call the slide "movies popular with teens".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service