EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Photos

• Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Learning Communities

Started by Allan Richards in Teaching and Methodology Oct 27. 0 Replies

Hey everyone!I am new to the forum and am curious how you feel learning communities benefit educators when it comes to developing a collective responsibility as educators. Do you feel a forum like…Continue

Implementation

Started by Christina Shepherd in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 26. 1 Reply

How does implementation help you out throughout the year? I am curious to know what things have worked for you and what things have not worked for you through an implementation standard.  Continue

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 19. 76 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Top 5 Game

Started by susie silver in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 17. 14 Replies

Hi David Maybe its obvious to some but I'm not sure how to play and I also want to create a top 5 game as well. What is the point of it. There are always 5 answers. Do the students guess according to…Continue

Tags: 5, top

Badge

Loading…

About

I'm putting together a video karaoke selection of the Top 20 most popular karaoke songs (based on downloads off our server). See the short list below but also our full recommends.

But, I'd like to know what your list of the top 10 would be?

We have 1,000s of songs, many with lyric sheets.  Alsoa great ebook full of lyric sheets!  Also got to recommend anything by the Beatles- works whatever the generation!

So let me know!  Also worth a look is the 50 Ways To Use Music And Song In The Classroom - our most popular blog post of all time!   

Here's my quick list (Disclaimer ***** no way does this indicate I "personally" like the songs)

1. YMCA
2. Don't Worry - Be Happy
3. We are the Champions
4. We are family
5.Mr. Morton is the subject of the sentence
6. Hello - Goodbye
7. It's Friday, I'm in Love.
8. If I had a million dollars
9. Imagine
10. Sugar , Sugar

Views: 8476

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MMmmm....
This is MY list:
1. The Logical Song - Supertramp (Excellent for Adjectives)
2. This used to be my playground - Madonna (Good for past habits)
3. It's friday, I'm in love (Days of the week)
4. Change the world - Michael Jackson (Easy to fill in the blanks)
5. Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat - From the musical with the same name (To teach colors, of course)
6. I can't live - Mariah Carey (to work on Can and Can't)
7. Bad Day - Daniel Powter (Past tenses)
8. Yesterday - The beatles (Simple past, simple present)
9. If I were a man - Andrea Menard (If+would)
10. I want love - Elton John (Use of want)

Anyway, it is very very important that after working on any song, the teacher does some other activities to connect the song with language learning. It is a fact that, students cannot recall when speaking things they can actually sing, even when they understand meanings. It's a Musical Vs. Linguistic intelligences thing, I read.

I thought I'd post here THIS handy list of songs and themes/grammar teaching points.... This one is helpful too.

Also, This article - offer some suggestions...

My own PPT has some helpful suggestions, advice, backdrop also.

Tomorrow, I'll post my top 10 Kid's songs list!

Lemon Tree - Fools Garden
My Love- Westlife
I'm not Afraid- Emenem
As Long as you Love me- Backstreet Boys
It's My Life- Bon Jovi.
We are the World-
Heal the World- Micheal Jackson
Nobody- The Wonder Girls
Headrick,

You can tell right away that you are teaching in S.Korea! Lemon Tree works great and hope you used the classic student video available here too (as well as the animation). Get them here.

Here is my list of top 10 songs for Young Learners and suggested teaching points. - any other suggestions? (most found on our Kid's Karaoke page or by searching in our videos.... ) Not surprising that many of these songs are also chants! See This Video for a good rundown about using songs with young learners.

1. Head, Shoulder, Knees and Toes - body parts
2. If you're happy and you know it - possibility, commands
3. Old MacDonald Had a Farm - animals / animal sounds
4. He's got the whole world in his hands. 's got / to have
5. 5 in the bed / 10 little Monkeys - counting and numbers
6. The Wheels on the Bus - actions
7. B-I-N-G-O - spelling, pronunciation and rhythm
8. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - alphabet / letters
9. Do The Hokey Pokey - directions / prep of movement
10. There was an old lady who swallowed a fly - animals

[special mentions to Can Do Kid / Skinnermarink / Rubber Ducky and Barney's - I Love You songs....
I'll also add that this is my personal fav. but didn't make my top list....

Please! What's the average age of these songs? Forty years old?

When you were a teenager, did you listen to music which was forty years out of date?

Why not use something which the students can relate to rather than which the teacher can relate to?

How about something from within the last two or three years?

Let's make music student-centered rather than teacher-centered :)

The words "All Time" are key and the focus.  

Of course teachers should us songs students love and relate to, I don't think we even need mention that. That said, student interest isn't everything and a teacher needs to negotiate and find balance -  a song should also have a language focus and have many of the characteristics that make a song a valuable teaching material. 

Can you share your own list with resources for those songs?   

We have many songs on the site from the last years with resources to help teachers. Too many to mention. Probably best to look at the videos under "lyrics" or  the Second language singers resources - another great way to tap into student motivation. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service