Learn About EnglishCentral              Teaching English Magazine             Read The Latest Newsletter               Support & Subscribe             TESOL Certificate
I came across a new documentary about the transformative power of music: PLAYING FOR CHANGE: PEACE THROUGH MUSIC while watching a Bill Moyer's special. It's a good interview, in English, transcription included. The film will be released in 2009.

For those who aren't interested in slogging through the English, here are some musical highlights :)

The youtube version misses the first few lines... I downloaded the video and will try to edit so I can post the entire song.

VARIOUS SINGERS/MUSICIANS: (written by Bill Withers)
Oh yeah, my darling, stand by me
No matter how much money you got, all the friends you got,
You're gonna need somebody, to stand by you
When the night has come. And the land is dark
And that moon is the only light we'll see
No I won't be afraid, no I won't shed one tear
Just as long as you people come and stand by me
And darlin', darlin', stand by me, oh stand by me
Oh stand, stand, stand by me
Come on stand by me
When the sky that we look upon
When she tumble and fall
Oh the mountains they should crumble into the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry, no I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
So darlin', darlin', stand by me, oh stand by me
Please stand, stand by me, stand by me
Oh baby baby,
Darlin', darlin', stand by me, oh stand by me
So darlin', darlin', stand, oh stand, oh stand, stand by me,
Come on stand by me
Stand, oh won't you stand, oh stand, stand by me, stand by me,
When the night has come, and the land is dark,
And the moon is the only light we'll see,
I won't be afraid, I won't be afraid,
Not as long, not as long as you stand by me

And another...

VARIOUS SINGERS:
One Love, One Heart
Let's get together and feel all right
One Love, One Heart
As it was in the beginning
So shall it be in the end

Let them all pass off their dirty remarks
One Love
There is one question I'd really like to ask
One Heart

Is there a place for those hopeless sinner
Who has hurt all mankind just to save his own?
Believe me

One Love, One Heart
(Foreign Language)*
I see the sun
(Foreign Language)*
(Foreign language)*

*I know, I know, you'd think they could have bothered to find out WHAT foreign language..
-----
Ah, I found a little more music by going to the website, Playing for Change. This first video is moving and beautiful... I think it was filmed in Guguletu, South Africa.

This second video features a new music school the foundation has built in Guguletu, South Africa.

Tags: curriculum, music, peace, teaching, video

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Ellen!

as usual: a hen - egg perspective! :-(

I am great at questioning anytime! But answering? Answers - Just display constantly by their absence!

I wish I could give a better answer! I wish I could do that!

Ellen I think we could find something out of our dedication! here about our common different concerns - I will figure out something! and talk to you about it as soon as I get some time enough to do it properly! (I will be very busy next 3-4 weeks! So after that!
- have a nice time! My new friend!
Ellen,

I wouldn't complicate it.. If I were a teacher, I would probably do the same things as you mentioned, what you did. I would introduce some good books, use examples, photos, those beautiful songs you have here, discuss actual issues/conflicts. I believe that way it should work. Not to say this or that is black or white - just show and let work.

I know we have different concepts of peace, but it is my belief that we all feel which one is meant here, suitable for being educated. I will wrepeat myself - no extremes... Maybe I would compare it to morality (different people, different morals), but still there is something universal, basic. And everybody feels what is going on (Kant).

And of course we can relativize every word, but what will remain?

I hope you understand me at least a little and thank you for your comment:-) It makes me think:-))
George, you make a good point about making everything relative to everything else not leaves not much room for anything!

And Naima, your assessment about being good at questioning, but not so much with answers is so sweet and unassuming and honest, I am just left with a smile on my face.

You are both so nice! (and lively and fun)

Thank you. What I'm taking away from this are two great examples of how to positively respond to someone (me, in this case) who is being a bit obstinate.: )
Ellen! You leave me a bit speechless and deeply touched. You are incredibly generous, shareful and very openminded, things I highly treasure and apreciate! And getting to know you gives me such good experiences that keep me around on the net - such amazing person you are! Thank You for accepting my friendship! I feel blessed and lucky when I find persons like you! We haven´t known each for any longer time but it feels like we do just that!

You leave sparks in my perceptions!

Cordially and with Great friendship!
Naima
I second that quote from Rousseau! He was a favorite during my overly romantic and dreamy youth. I'll have to give him and maybe Rilke and Proust another go one day soon....

I'd like to relate an anecdote.

When I began teaching, I was fiercely against any kind of "ideology" in the classroom. I believed we had to have a "space" where children could find their own way and not be brainwashed.

Over the years, I continued trodding along this path until one day I realized (and after an awakening by reading some Illych and Dewey) that I was infact part of an ideological machine. I was in fact delivering ideology and constructing young minds. I was infact imparting values and a way of being. It really was a metanoia for me, an epiphany. Here I was pretending to be so artfully dancing between state / religion / ideology and decay YET the joke was on me.

I realized that teachers can't but teach an ideology. So I was wrong there. But what we can do is make sure to
1) be aware of our own part in this. That awareness will measure our teaching, temper it.
2) provide alternative viewpoints to all things. The meat is in the eating , the delivery and not the curriculum per say.

So far so good. However, as I continued along my teaching journey - I saw many teachers who really just taught the curriculum and didn't do a great job in the questioning/critical thinking/alternative viewpoints department. What to do there? So I returned to Dewey and he offered comfort again. He suggested that classrooms be places where students can discover values while being led by the hand of a teacher. He suggested that schools should provide curriculum that develops the child/student. Gets them to think and find out what is right to believe. (see his The Child and the Curriculum).

So alas, I now am at the point of advocating for curriculum that does precisely that - gets students to think of their place in the world and the values they hold. (but Ellen - your point is taken and yes, there should be no indoctrination / however George is very much on the right track IMO - we do always teach values! but it is HOW IT IS DONE that is important).

So I looked at schools around America/Canada and saw almost NONE teaching and offering the alternative viewpoint and perspective of peace. Almost NONE. I really was taken aback and suggest this should be a central issue in education. As important as math or the Gettysburg address or learning to read. We need a curriculum that allows students to see from the angle and perspective and alternative of peace. We desperately need it (for so many reasons I won't go into but which are probably apparent). We need leaders who will put this on the agenda. Our planet and lives are at stake and people die because of it everyday. I reject any notion that "this is how it is" and "mankind will always be like this". I reject it. I refuse any such deterministic and fatalistic path. We are always in control and can change things...

Okay, end of story /diatribe. You got me juices flowing....

Find attached my earliest "bible" on peace. Tolstoy's the Law of Love and the Law of Violence. (written at the end of his years). I'm not religious in any conventional sense but Tolstoy has inspired many great men to hold up the candle of peace and fight against the ideology of war that nationalism wrongly "teaches" daily in our schools.
Attachments:
I did not mean to get lost in specifics or the practicum of peace. It's just that I saw a lot of posts around this topic and could not get a sense of how teachers were using these resources in their classrooms. I have no concerns about the ideal of peace or any related educational theories, it is just that I wondered to what extent (either mentally or materially) teachers were incorporating these thoughts into their classrooms.

I appreciate all of the responses and comments.

I guess I took for granted the specifics of my position here in Korea. I work in a public school in a suburb of Seoul, Korea. The province in which I am situated has organized a program called GEPIK to recruit native English speakers to teach alongside Korean foreign language teachers in elementary, middle, and high schools. Much of the specifics of the situation are determined by individual schools, though larger issues such as the curriculum and assessments are controlled by the province. The need is great for English teachers but oversight is often lacking when hiring new teachers. Orientation (despite the connotations of the word) is often given after several months of teaching, a fact that teachers often find confusing. Teachers are expected to come and teach without having the opportunity to ask larger and more detail-oriented questions, and, in turn, schools often do not take the opportunity to ask the teacher similar questions. So, expectations are lacking and the situation is left to the (in my case) rather inexperienced teacher.

Given this information, I hope that the attitudes of the particular teacher I was mentioning make more sense. She was probably in the same situation when she came and decided to take on teaching methods that were very bold and possibly even too much so given the lack of understanding of the culture and the expectations of teachers.

Again, I appreciate all of the comments and I hope that I have done your questions some justice.
I needed a respite from all the race talk around my house (when all the kids get together, long story I guess) and came here, to find the video had been removed!

Let that be a lesson to us all. If you really like something, save it on your hard drive. Luckily, there was another copy uploaded to youtube. Grabbed it and kept it this time!

Besides, I'm learning this song on the ukulele : )

You can't really make a thread about music and peace without mentioning" Cr@aa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlpputRkJU

I hope the link works Crass an Anarchist punk band from the eighties
The link didn't work, Headrick... is this the video?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

Visit EnglishCentral
Study Music

SUPPORT EFL 2.0

Become A Member! Join Us!

Get In Touch

Music

Loading…

Photos

Loading…