EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Photos

• Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Learning Communities

Started by Allan Richards in Teaching and Methodology Oct 27. 0 Replies

Hey everyone!I am new to the forum and am curious how you feel learning communities benefit educators when it comes to developing a collective responsibility as educators. Do you feel a forum like…Continue

Implementation

Started by Christina Shepherd in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 26. 1 Reply

How does implementation help you out throughout the year? I am curious to know what things have worked for you and what things have not worked for you through an implementation standard.  Continue

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 19. 76 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Top 5 Game

Started by susie silver in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 17. 14 Replies

Hi David Maybe its obvious to some but I'm not sure how to play and I also want to create a top 5 game as well. What is the point of it. There are always 5 answers. Do the students guess according to…Continue

Tags: 5, top

Badge

Loading…

About

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.

Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it in the classroom?

Also see all the Alphabet related books, all levels, on Gif Lingua Books. 

Alphabet Videos and our Alphabet Resource search

Students can study and learn the alphabet on EnglishCentral. Teachers registerand assign video lessons and track student achievement. 

This is my favorite Alphabet video.... I also used those phonics things/videos on the practice page in phonics. They are cool.

Views: 3860

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anne,

I've highlighted your site a few times - wonderful! Especially the personalized stories but these resources too... (however there are a few links there that need updating). Thanks for letting us know.

I've also created in our RESOURCES, a new page for handwriting practice sheets and videos for each letter. (just click the letter and wait, it will load/play in Windows Media Player). These are great, short videos of each letter and how to write / say them. Enjoy!

David
David,

Thanks for the heads-up on the links. I thought I'd caught all the problems on the site and made a CD to go to Ghana, and then found that none of the alphabet games were linked up. I fixed that, and another file that I'd changed the name of and forgot to fix the link. I added a link to your Alphabet Writing resource as well. I try to better organize the site, and forget sometimes to change the links everywhere they apply. Blame it on old age!

I'm glad you like the site other than the broken links. Check back for other stuff, and, if you find more broken links you can always email me at weezo45@gmail.com
Thanks Anne,

I know the feeling, not easy to keep up with links or make sure they are all working. We do what we can :) Wow - have fun in Ghana - I'm jealous.....

On another note, here is a nice Alphabet Letter Writing resources teachers might find useful.

Letter Writing / Printing (Full Screen)
David, that is cute!!! How can I link it or move it onto my site?

I appreciate you pointing out the broken links. I spent the evening testing more and found a lot more that aren't working. Not a good way to start the year.

I'm not going to Ghana, I am sending a notebook that I am putting software on before I mail it to him. My son got it cheap from a MicroCenter and donated it for me to send it. The man it is going to was sent to school to learn basic technology. He lives in a village in Northern Sudan on in the area between the forests and the Sahara. He farms with his father, is raising a 2 year old, and wants to use his education to help his village.Near his village is an art school and I feel that if we can get the artwork on the Internet, it will draw customers from those who can trace their heritage there. The village needs a well or two that are deep enough not to dry up in the dry season and real building materials so their sand houses do not melt or flood in the rainy season. Of course they need all the help they can for education in the village. A few months ago, he sent me the names, ages and genders of all the village children, and I printed up and made up personalized books for all them. I also cleaned out my supply of pencils and pens bought out of habit forgetting I wasn't in the classroom, and a few small balls for the youngest children. The package was well received. The whole village The whole village prayed for me when I was facing heart surgery, and when I returned to the doctor, he said I didn't need it at this time. Nothing will convince those people that their prayers weren't answered. So, I am as excited about making this shipment to this little village in the back country of Ghana and hope it will be the spark that helps them find their way into the modern world. It was very heartening when Obama made a visit to Ghana a few months ago, so I think the people of that country are going to have pride in the democratic strides they have made and the future they can have with a little help from Americans who like to help.

Anne
Anne,

Wonderful and I hope you can get some students involved in this , in some way/shape or form. Just following the village's progress, just those little connections can really change a kid. I'm sure you are thinking in that vein....

I just also want to post here that the newly created TEACHER'S TOOLKIT page has some nice, new alphabet resources under Vocab / Words. I especially like this one.
According to the stats I check every month on google, the alphabet and word activities are gaining popularity. I looked at the Toolkit, and some of the word activities, but they are not intuitive as to what they are supposed to do. Perhaps a lead in that tells you what they do and how to play them. The Ice Cube Words looked like fun, but I wasn't sure what to do with them.
I tried it too, Anne, and I couldn't figure out how the game "worked"

Maybe you are just supposed to fool around with the letters without any scoring?

Ah, looked up the website, those games are for interactive whiteboards... user decides exactly how to "work" them, I'm guessing... very pretty!

http://www.teacherled.com/

For example, the game called "Yatzee" in the Teacher's toolkit is described here, as Letter Dice, on the website.

Ah, found Ice Cube Alphabet : )
Ellen,

That makes sense. In my last years of classroom teaching, I saw a whiteboard, and a view that presents the letters than can be moved around the site according to what the group is doing at the time is a very useful idea. What would be useful would be some lesson plan ideas with suggestions what can be done with this resource.
I have no idea how to embed things, but I would like to mention the website , which has some pretty helpful interactive activities for kids. I have a phonics Afterschool class that goes nuts just to have a go at the touchscreen as they're learning about consonant and vowel sounds (from the ABC section of the site). Of course, there's other materials there, too, but since this thread focuses mainly on the alphabet...
Hey James, what website are you talking about? It sounds great!
There are some alphabet resources that people might find useful on our website here: http://www.esolcourses.com/uk-english/beginners-course/unit-1/the-a... (the audio files use UK English pronunciation)

They were designed for adult beginners who are unfamiliar with the western alphabet, but they could also be used for teaching kids.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service