EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Music

Loading…

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Badge

Loading…

About

I think one of the great ways to get our young to learn English is through music. For many reasons. as I outline in this article. It is even better, more inspiring, more engaging when they see their fellow country men/women singing in English! So in this spirit, let's share some of our favorite international artists singing in their second language!  Get the full player and lyric book HERE

Here's a brave singer from Korea, to start off this directory!

Views: 2158

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's David Fonseca in video! Pretty clear, good for language learning....

Today it is the unsurpassable elegance, presence and diva of Persia - Googoosh. I saw her in Toronto about 10 years ago and she did "I will survive" like I'd never seen before. She went quiet and into exile after the Iranian revolution but still is number #1 to almost all Iranians. here's an interview with CNN when she made her comeback around 2000. And from her prime, the 70s in Iran. "Want Ads".

Today's offering is a flashback to the first big "cross over" group. An international group that sung in English and had enormous success. Can't guess? Think German. Think Alphaville! They were huge (but still are - check out this 2007 video! Wow!) and they began the bandwagon of "2nd language artists" enjoying great success in the music industry... Enjoy the flashback!

Attachments:

Wow!! This is great. I had no idea they sang in English, besides the odd line here and there in the Korean versions. This will be a great way to connect with my students... especially my one ninth grader who's only spoken English appears to be, "Yo teacher! I am Big Bang."

thanks Dave
:)

ddeubel said:

Today, I get to highlight a group from where I'm presently working - Korea.

BIG BANG is a huge group here and have a cult following. Even better, their English songs are wonderful. Crisp pronunciation and they sound like native speakers! (many of the members lived in America). Here is the English version of
Always. I played this for many foreign teachers at a large lecture I gave and they just loved the language.... :)

Here's the real video and also the karaoke version I produced.

Lot's more Korean Karaoke on our Karaoke page! Some great stuff... Also see the music discussion in the Korean Resources area. I have some cool Korean playlists of all kinds of Korean artists there!

I'll have to get making some more Korean Karaoke! Oh yeah, also lots of stuff in our A/V player...rock on!
I LOVE this song. Peter Gabriel but most and more importantly, Youssou Ndour, a Senegalese sensation. He's my number 2 guy when it comes to African music (behind my beloved Ali Farke Toure). He really does it all and here with Peter Gabriel he's "Shakin' the Tree". Magnifique!

Attachments:

Today I highlight someone who is a blood sake and who I call the "Swiss Bob Dylan" - Stephan Eicher. Oh, how I enjoyed so many, many bottles of wine listening to him in the mountains of Corsica! He sings in 4 languages. This song, is my ultimate favorite, one of Neil Young's. Neil wrote it about where I'm from N.Ont. , about a place just down the road where he stayed when a teenager and I a young, young boy........ big birds flying overhead.... Stephan is the perfect example of an international artist, singing and inspiring through his singing in English....

But I can't resist this original also with the original Neil Young and the Band version

Attachments:
Hmmm, David's got nostalgia... yes, I could be writing more useful comments, but this is all I can manage ; )

Helpless helpless hellllpless
Ellen,

As one famous Surrealist once said - "Do not deny us our sedatives!".... keeps me going in this many times, mad world...
Hello everybody, I've been missing for a while and now I see you have started a great and interesting thread on world music, soooooooooooo I must have a go, a say or sthg.
In the first place I would like to introduce one of my favourite Spanish rock band, Dover. Despite the name, the band originated in Madrid and have had a big collection of no. ones in the charts from the start.
Here you can see the entry on Wikipedia

Enjoy! It will be continued. So long!
Wow! Love it! They sure know how to have a good time and deliver and rock! Pure stuff and I even understood their pronounciation. You can't beat good old fashion rock n' roll. Great addition.....
I knew you would like this although they have better songs: Devil is one of my favourites

ddeubel said:
Wow! Love it! They sure know how to have a good time and deliver and rock! Pure stuff and I even understood their pronounciation. You can't beat good old fashion rock n' roll. Great addition.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service