EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Music

Loading…

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Badge

Loading…

About

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and #2 for lots of info. Find everything listed HERE (but without description). Also use our TAG CLOUD to find all the best websites for EFL / ESL for any category!

Veewow is a real cool, user friendly and totally 2.0 tool for sharing youtube videos. You can make slick playlists by just inserting the youtube url. Even better, and something youtube does a poor job at -- you can embed the whole playlist, link, send to friends and share. It is an excellent place for teachers to keep all their youtube favorites and by pass a lot of the restrictions and blocks on youtube in their classroom/schools.

Here's an example I made -- within 5 min. I scooped up and listed these Top 15 Teaching videos....All the best in one handy place. Enjoy - some cool stuff here but all this is also right here on EFL Classroom 2.0! For any fans of Korean hip hop - here's my Korean music selection!

Views: 628

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gmail Now Has Video Chat!

I know many students/teachers use skype (I do too!) but communicating and teaching with video / voice has now gotten even easier! Gmail has launched Video Chat. An application that goes right along with your gmail inbox. Simply click and it will start up a video window to chat with another who has subscribed on gmail to video chat! A great way to eteach (not as good as our conference room where you have a whiteboard / browser but handy for communication practice).

If anyone needs an gmail invite to get a gmail account -- send me an email at eflclassroom@gmail.com You'll get the invite and can try this out.... The world is becoming a smaller place -- thanks to google. Also, try their basic chat service with a translator Gtalk. I've reviewed this previously and you can chat with a friend who is typing in another language. Gchat will translate it (here's a good rundown - you simply have to call up into your chat the right language bot) and then translate back your reply. I have talked to Russian friends like this. They type in Russian, I type in English....it works!
Book Glutton - Read with other people!

Book Glutton is a neat web 2.0 idea. Search through their collection of books, choose, read and add notes to passages/pages. Read what others have commented on. Mark up the book and share.

On one side of the book page you have "notes" - enter your notes there. If you log in, you can use the left side of the book to "chat" with others as you read together. A great way to interact with text and make reading a shared and learning experience. This site would be perfect for a more advanced "book study" , univ./high school English course. Try it all you bibliophiles. Ex Libris, Veritas. Here is their video guide/walkthrough.

Pageflakes brings the online Info. to you!

Pageflakes is one of a burgeoning number of aggregators - applications that make a personal webpage which will bring all your favorite websites to you! No more clicking around, bookmarking so much, wondering what's happening. Now it comes at the speed of light to your own page.

What I really like about pageflakes isn't the RSS (real simple syndication) ability. Many readers already to this well. However, pageflakes allows a great level of sharing (less work for everyone) and a much better personalization and presentation. This makes you WANT TO visit the page.

I've made a pageflakes for EFL Classroom 2.0, as well as all the best EFL / ESL / ELL blogs. Click the Job Universe on our main page and you'll be taken to all the up to minute jobs in our profession. A handy place to keep abreast of what's happening in the job market. Take a look, I think you'll like it and maybe even make a pageflakes for your students - all their favorite web "spots"!

Dizzler is an amazing animal. It is a player that brings all the best music and videos from the net - TO YOU! I've been testing it and it works amazingly fast. You can get a variety of skins/designs. Teachers can just look up "kids music" for example and instantly you have loads of kids tunes for learning/enjoying English. Or just use for your own enjoyment!

Try out our EFL Classroom 2.0 Dizzler here and be dazzled!

Akinator is a guessing game site that is super simple and easy to use in the class or at home. Much like 20q.net which I've used very successfully in class - the Akinator will guess whatever celebrity/famous person you have chosen. Guess by asking questions. Very simple set up of responses ( Yes, Probably, Don't know, Probably not, No). He guessed everyone I choose (Obama, Shakespeare, Britney) and your students will find this amazing.

Tips for using this are 2 fold. One, don't choose anyone too obscure, keep it simple. Or try it out before class so you know it will work with that given celebrity (for 20q, I use chopsticks and it is a good object to start with). Two, have one student be the show MC and read the questions for the class that the Akinator replies with....

Have fun and also see this Let's Talk Celebrity guessing game!

Origami Club rocks! I gave a lecture yesterday and stayed for the presentations by teachers. One teacher introduced us to this site and I was immediately captivated. Such easy instructions, very user friendly, topical (lots of Christmas stuff). Further, though I've done origami before, I was really sold on how following English instructions and learning while doing is such a great idea (thanks Paul!).

Teachers can easily print the instructions on Origami Club and give as a handout to students. Even better to use a video to first let them listen/watch. (see example below). Then, do together. I'd start with an easy one. For X-mas, the Star works well. Just click "Christmas" on the left of the main page and you have lots to select from. Each origami comes with easy to follow flash animation instructions. You'll have to invest in some square based origami paper that's all. Even a guy who is all thumbs like me can do it! So add origami as an excellent craft based lesson to break things up during the school year!

How to Fold a Christmas Tree

Great site, David! The animations are so helpful, makes a BIG difference in success. Just a note- here in the US, oragami paper is expensive. For the simple shapes, regular printer paper will work (and each student can square up their own sheets), and for pretty and more complicated shapes, wrapping paper and a paper cutter works.

We now have all the best NFB Video shorts!

I love the National Film Board of Canada and I've previously highlighted their fine videos and especially animations - for use in the classroom (or just enjoyment!).

So I'm tooting our own horn here -- I've made a page of what I consider all the best NFB videos for teaching English. (works best with Firefox browser - I don't yet know what the loading problem with IExplore is ????) All appropriate for a wide variety of levels and ages. Many of these are academy award winners! I'll be adding in the discussion part below - lots of resources and ideas for using these. Also check the video section of our Resources/Sharing area. Please add your own ideas for teaching English with these videos on that page. Or just tell us which one you really loved! If you like videos about Peace -- you can also check the NFB Peace video page on Project Peace.

Singsnap! Sing and learn English....

Singsnap is the newest of a long line of karaoke sites! What I love about it is that you can both listen to the karaoke singer and also by clicking the A, follow with the lyrics! Something perfect for learning English. You can form a community of singers and learn as each other records their favorite karaoke tune. Take a look - it is great. As you know - we have lots of our own karaoke here too! Also in video.

Here are a couple of Christmas examples!

This one with no cam, just voice....

VerbaLearn is a new site which does a lot of things well. I'm not usually a big fan of learning English through "word study", however, it is a reality and it does work for many students. Also, VerbaLearn caters to those who are trying to pass all those significant tests....GRE / SAT / ACT and though not directly or yet - TOEFL.

On the site, you are prompted and can test yourself. The words you get wrong, are put into a word list for later study. You can then use that list to be tested upon continually until you've learned the words. If you get them right, absolutely (by hitting the "I know" prompt and not guessing), the word is eliminated from your study/test list.

This could be a great place to refer higher level students. And this is a major job of most teachers -- we can't really teach everything in class, there isn't enough time to conquer the 6-7,000 words needed for academic success....

Also included here - a few word lists which will come in handy!!!! If you also haven't checked it out on our Practice page - visit Word Count. A "real time" analysis of the most popular words in use on the internet! Maybe use it to get your students to guess what rank "X" word will be. Could be a fun game!

Please also see this article on word lists/study by two of the top authorities in this area...
Attachments:

www.readwriteweb.com has a wonderful list of the top 100 tools of 2008. These aren't just for educators but I think any person will find lots of jewels here! I did - I discovered the personal finance site www.mint.com... Here is the list of categories to investigate.

The ultimate 100 list was compiled from these posts:

* Best LittleCo of 2008 & Most Promising for 2009
* Best BigCo of 2008: Apple
* Top 10 Semantic Web Products of 2008
* Top 10 International Products of 2008
* Top 10 Consumer Web Apps of 2008
* Top 10 RSS and Syndication Products of 2008
* Top 10 Mobile Web Products of 2008
* Top 10 Enterprise Web Products of 2008
* Top 10 Real World Web Apps of 2008
* Top 10 Digital Lifestyle Products of 2008
* Top 10 Alternative Search Engines of 2008
* Top 10 Web Platforms of 2008

Studio 4 Learning
is a new video learning site. Lots of instructional videos on all sorts of academic tops from Writing, Math to Languages. Here is the ESL area. I like that the videos stream well and play big screen so that a teacher might use them in the classroom for whole class instruction and to supplement their lessons. Nice drop down menus, very clear and well laid out. Studio 4 Learning is a nice resource for the English teacher. I've put an example of a lesson on the past tense in our video area.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service