EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Music

Loading…

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Badge

Loading…

About

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and #2 for lots of info. Find everything listed HERE (but without description). Also use our TAG CLOUD to find all the best websites for EFL / ESL for any category!

Veewow is a real cool, user friendly and totally 2.0 tool for sharing youtube videos. You can make slick playlists by just inserting the youtube url. Even better, and something youtube does a poor job at -- you can embed the whole playlist, link, send to friends and share. It is an excellent place for teachers to keep all their youtube favorites and by pass a lot of the restrictions and blocks on youtube in their classroom/schools.

Here's an example I made -- within 5 min. I scooped up and listed these Top 15 Teaching videos....All the best in one handy place. Enjoy - some cool stuff here but all this is also right here on EFL Classroom 2.0! For any fans of Korean hip hop - here's my Korean music selection!

Views: 615

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David, thanks so much for introducing EnglishStar.com to this vibrant community. I appreciate your endorsement at this early stage of our service. I am pleased you also see the potential of using the dynamic medium of video to engage students.

I would personally like to invite EFL Classroom 2.0 members to visit our free site, create a profile and explore our video lessons. Creating a profile will enable you to get notified when new video lessons and enhanced ELL functionalities are added.

We have some great new videos currently being translated and made into lessons. EnglishStar is also currently testing and working on the integration of some solid functionality which will support both classroom and personal use of our video library. We will let the members of EFL Classroom 2.0 know about new additions to our site as they become available and look forward to your comments.

I would like to address a couple of points you mentioned, David and draw everyone’s attention to a couple of other points we at EnglishStar feel will impress teachers. I will try to keep this response short but, will expand on some points elsewhere or if any members have any questions or ideas. David; where would you like to see this discussion take place?

All the best from Osaka, Japan. Andrew
Andrew,

You are welcome and I applaud anyone who is working hard to "give us the goods" so to speak. Teaching is such a personal enterprise and there are so many roads to get to the same destination that we need all kinds of variety so that each teacher can "get the goods" that best suit them as a teacher and importantly, their students.

It is a burgeoning world (video learning / self learning through video) and I'm sure teachers here would love to give some feedback and here your thoughts/plans. So just go ahead and start a discussion. That's probably the best way, either that or post up a video with a discussion after it. Either / Or. I appreciate your own politeness and asking about this but I know this community doesn't mind anyone who honestly has the interests of teachers in mind, from coming here to join in our discussions/community.

Cheers,

David
English Star® and Real English® Collaborate

Mike Marzio, the Real English guy from New Jersey who's been running a language school in the south of France for the last 33 years, is very happy indeed to be associated with English Star!

Andrew and I have been enjoying our regular chats about the use of video in EFL in general, and the relationship between the new English Star Player, and all the "new players" in the growing field of independently produced esl/efl video.

I'm sure glad he noticed Real English during his initial research, since we are already operational in our first collaborative effort.

For French readers, I did my corresponding blog entry in French for a change.

Bravo Andrew and Kerri and Lee and ... ! - i.e. Four Canadians who live and teach or have lived and taught in Osaka, Japan during recent years. Each member has special skills of course, making for a real team essential to EFL web development!

Best wishes to all,
Mike Marzio

ddeubel said:

English Star is another welcome addition to the world of "video learning". Our students are so much more "visual" in their learning style and video offers great context and interest for language learning.

English Star is a site created by a member here, Andrew Farmer! Say thanks to him, if you have a moment.

English Star has a great selection of "appropriate videos" . I found they especially have lots of videos for beginners and further, if Japanese is your first language (or that of your students) , most videos support the Japanese language. But the English subtitles are really fluid and clear for each video. Further, you can download a pdf script of the video - a VERY handy feature for us classroom teachers - horrah! I also like that the videos have a full screen option for class viewing. Post viewing their is a brief quiz that viewers can take and get feedback from.

Some regulars there have video "Lessons" or a series of videos teaching some aspect of the language. Andrew tells me that we'll see more of this in the future. English Star also intends on a lot more functionality in the future (like socializing, recommending, speaking the videos etc...) so stay tuned.

One quick thought. I'd really like to see a "search function" . I can't seem to find one and the site needs some kind of search or leveling ability for teachers/students. But the lesson library is handy and I'm busy watching this week's recommended video of the Bike to Oz series (really interesting!). Thanks Andrew!

Hi! I've just sent you a video card.

Click the link below to view the video card I created for you:

View the card

— David

This is all for today! Just read below - the email Bubble Joy sent me!
What is a Bubble Joy video card?

It's a new, fun way to send video greeting cards to family and friends. Simply choose a card design for any occasion and record your personal video message.

There's nothing to install and they take less then a minute to create.

Click here to send one now.
David, how come you look different every time I see a pic/ video of you? You are messing with me, I don't have good facial recognition abilities, knock it off! :D Really, I might not recognize you on the street, unless you were giving one of your enthusiastic gestures!

The program is neat, but there is no way I am making a video of myself... geez! Maybe I could set it up so it looked like my dog was talking...

BTW, I love Site of the Day : )
Ellen, no worries, your presence is already clear!

I wish I had more time for Site of the Day but don't and just want to highlight from time to time what I think really might be worthy and "outside the box" for language and "creative" teachers....my passion, looking at things from a different angle.

Yeah, I'm a camelion - been told that throughout my life. I like it - very Buddhist - we can never walk in the same waters twice (oh yeah, that was Heraclitus but he was an early blooming buddhist!).
American History in Video is a vast repertoire of, well, here's the blurb from the site:

American History in Video provides the largest and richest collection of video available online for the study of American history, with 2,000 hours and more than 5,000 titles on completion. The collection allows students and researchers to analyze historical events, and the presentation of historical events over time, through commercial and governmental newsreels, archival footage, public affairs footage, and important documentaries. This release includes over 1260 titles, equaling approximately 420 hours.

It's free until April 30, 2009... after that, I don't know what happens! I'm getting my WMR out and grabbing what I can : )

I'm not a big fan of focusing on words. I'm more a "big picture guy" or for that matter a, "top down person".... However, Wordia, has some great UCC (user created content), videos about many words. You can find a word and listen to someone talk about it. (and this is probably where students will learn the most English!). It is great content for authentic English and I was impressed by the majority of the videos.

I think this sort of idea has its origins in the fabulously sexy, sensation of "Hot for Words" on youtube. Not something for the regular classroom but she did a great job talking about words. Here she expounds on the relationship between Salmonella and Salmon....

You can search for words but most of the time you will just get a standard written definition (not enough content up yet). Also, most of these videos are already hosted on Youtube. However, Wordia does a great job of aggregating these videos and has a slick site. Watch some of the users videos and you'll have fun and learn some English. Some fascinating facts also unveiled regarding etymology too!

Here's an example from Wordia. Impressionable.

Well, I have to say that her breasts kept my attention, so in that sense, it works. My common sense tells me that if linking objectified sexual arousal to learning worked, it would have become more of a mainstream method long before our time. Human beings, despite cultural taboos, are practical creatures- if this method of learning gave the group who adopted it an advantage over another, it would have flourished.

But another, deep part of me is affected here. It has to do with the subjugation of women. Also, how schizophrenic the attitudes and behavior towards women's bodies and our sexuality is. I wish I was ready to articulate it; I wish someone else would help me articulate it. I'll try to formulate my response in the next few days. Until then, I leave you with this thought. Why is this video acceptable to post, while this painting might not be?

L’Origine du monde ( The Origin of the World ) is an oil on canvas painted by Gustave Courbet in 1866.
What I mean by schizophrenic is in one society you have to be covered head to foot to not be considered a 'whore' (and possibly beaten or stoned) to another where you cut your eyelids and get breast implants so you can land a better (more well off) husband to societies that sell anything they can by using exaggerated images of the female body to places where parents sell their daughters into sexual slavery (and someone is willing to buy them) to having your clitoris cut off to starving yourself in the pursuit of some idealized body image. Where can women simply be natural women as men are natural men the world over? And the selling of vocabulary with boobs feeds into this, it's part of this. But we're supposed to have some decorum and not breast feed openly in public, not breast feed past a certain age, and in the US, if you are female and take your shirt off in public, you can be arrested. Give me a break.

I really don't like this part of the world, and I'm not going to shut up just because these practices are generally acceptable.

Photo Face is a fun "avatar" kind of tool. Brought to you by Oddcast, the same people which gave us the audio translator. You can upload a photo of anyone and make it talk! Even change its weight, look, size, expression. Really quite smooth working and I made one in about 5 minutes. You can upload your own audio or just use their text to speech - it will speak what you write!

Here's the one I created. Why not try to make one for your students using the vocab/grammar you've been practicing? They'll love it, I guarantee!

Elvis Lives

This article I stumbled across (while looking for flash video recorders). It is a plethora of great sites! Wow! A treasure trove , a treasure chest. Eureka. I'll let you stumble through it! [use the full screen for better viewing]

amazingly Useful websites amazingly Useful websites

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service