EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Music

Loading…

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Badge

Loading…

About

Hi, I've just completed my second week of teaching at an elementary school in Seoul and I am pretty satisfied with myself. However, today my co-teacher tells me that I have to teach other Korean teachers English twice a week. She is getting a book for them so by next Friday I should be fine. However, I have to teach them next Tuesday with no materials. Today was my first time teaching them and it was frustrating. I basically introduced myself and went over the differences between much/many/a lot because I notice that most Koreans get these words mixed up. I want something more interactive but I'm not sure how to be that way when my students are so much older than me. Any ideas for my class next Tuesday?

Views: 372

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Manisha,

Check out this discussion, Teaching Teachers. David lists some great resources there : )

I'm curious- what is it about the age difference that makes you worry?
Manisha,

I'd go HERE and use the questions for Visit Korea! You can discuss lots of things about Korea. As a whole group or them in their groups. They really get a kick out of talking about Korea in English and at the same time, you'll be learning about Korea and they will want to share with you. This is a great way to have built in motivation.

With adults, it is very important to ask them what they want and go with that . Also, to deal with their interests but like you did with the grammar point - give them also something very useful in the short term. Believe it or not, as learners Adults are all about being practical and having something to use NOW.

In our mediafire folder - there are a whole series of discussion questions under Conversation questions . Those will help too but I really like the book English Factory in the discussion linked above....

Here's a presentation of mine with some thoughts about adult learners. If you ever have the inclination to think more about this - Jane Vella writes so well on this topic.

Because I'm a child at heart :)

I don't know, something about all of them being married and having kids makes me nervous for some reason. Plus when I was teaching them, they all seemed to look at me like "who are you?" which made me even more nervous
Elementary teachers can be a tough crowd ; ) Maybe like doctors making the worst patients... I think David's suggestion to talk about Korea is very good! They will have the feeling of teaching you too, and I bet they will like that.
Hi Manisha: Why not provide strategies for teaching English based on the content of the teachers' upcoming lessons. That way, it becomes more authentic learning experiences. That's how I approach teacher training here in the U.S. I provide professional development to content teachers who have English language learners in their classrooms. I'd be happy to share any strategies and approaches that I use.
Thanks! these are very helpful links! I'm not so stressed anymore
I like David's suggestions about conversation and Korea. I have also found teaching my Co-teachers very frustrating because they are usually the worst students when it comes to showing up on time and paying attention in class! ha ha ha.

What I have done is create a lesson that covers a grammar point, practical questions about the classes we teach, and then something interesting and relaxing. Why I include the last part is because a lot of the time the teacher want to come in and chat. So we have a lot of conversation activities and "games" that facilitate an open exchange of dialogue.

I would spend sometime getting to know your co-workers through these classes. I found that chatting with them and getting to know them on a personal level help a lot with the class and how everything runs. The biggest thing that I have noticed is that the teachers that felt comfortable around me (I am the only male English Teacher) the more they contributed to classes and the more they relaxed and treat my classes as a joint-effort to help the students. The ones that I didn't communicate with were the teachers that skipped classes or felt their job was to evaluate me while I was teaching.

I hope that this helps. Also my teachers loved gossiping in English or talking about their boyfriends and that kind of "girl talk" As a foreign man, I just tried to help the flow of conversation. This seemed to help them speak more and relax a bit.
I've done lots of these kinds of things. I used to work at a teachers training centre in Pyeongteck called the Yunsuwon.
Or Yulgok teachers training center. Breaking the ice is very important. You won't get much accomplished with that nervous energy happening. We used to have lots of outings in the evening. The Training center used to pay. In your case I would insist on going Dutch just to prevent any problems down the road. You'd be surprised how much more they will open up to you after sharing a couple bottles of soju" If you can't break the ice drown it"

Having field trips to temples and mountains is also a great Idea. I tends to appeal to the teachers Nationalism. While a lot of this advice might sound like it ventures too far out of the traditional classroom setting it is more effective in acceiving those objectives.
one of the best sources that I found is OUP's "Practical Classroom English" by Hughs, Moate and Raatikainen - OUP has a great website with additional materials and anyone can sign-up there http://www.oup.com/elt/catalogue/isbn/0-19-442279-8?cc=global also someone has posted a scanned copy of the book on scribd.com but the librarian in me won't really tell you how to find it since it is a copyright violation but I'm sure you are all smart enough to figure it out
I like using "Find Someone Who" activities to get people to interact with each other. It gets them out of their seats and talking to different people. It is a good way to practice questions. It is also a good activity with little prep.
In the past I've used " Small Group Discussion Topics" by Jack Martire. It's a topical discussion book. You have to be careful some of the topics are pretty controversial simply photo copy the index and let the teachers choose the topics in advance. They always appeciate when you give the material to them in adavance. I also go online and get articles from" Dear Abby" and " Dear Ann Landers". First have them read the artcles . Then go over new vocabulary and idioms. Speak slowly if it's an idiom give lots of examples. Then put them in pairs and small groups. Always have them discuss things in small groups and pairs before having the big group discusion.
When they are doing pairwork walk around and look for some common mistakes. At the end of the class write these mistakes on the board and correct them. If you don't correct at least some mistakes there are some students who will complain they didn't learn anything.
I also have to do this. My advice is to try a conversation class. Don't use a textbook. Just talk to them about what interests them. We talk about what we are going to do on the weekend, cultural differences, why some kids are interested in school and others aren't, fashion and pop culture (all my co-teachers are women and I'm a guy), they ask me what it's like growing up in the USA, what USA schools are like, etc.
Good luck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service