Learn About EnglishCentral              Teaching English Magazine             Read The Latest Newsletter               Digital Downloads             TESOL Certificate

Flash Presentation

When learning English - one of the first things to do is to get students to acquire a good "bank" of words so they can have some ground on which to talk and begin to communicate. Further down the road, students need to acquire academic vocabulary to succeed and also grow their vocabulary bank and be able to access more and more English content/world.

This GSL (general service list) has all the words and audio. Here's a pdf.

It isn't easy. I believe one fundamental thing to do at first - is to contentrate on Verbs. They are the flypaper of the brain. If a student can memorize, recall instantly the main 20-30 verbs, then the other words (nouns) will stick.

I've started a new folder for basic vocab. resources in our Mediafire area. Also, see our Resources for a place to share your own Vocabulary resources.  Also see our Teacher Tools for a good list of vocabulary related tools.  Also a must is Word Count. 

Here are some flashcards of the top 100 words in the English language and a handy presentation of them. (Find this video on our Karaoke video page). What tips, activities, resources can you suggest for learning words? How do we get the students to "collect" these bricks so they can build their own house of language??????

The Top 100 Words

Tags: dolch, gsl, vocab, vocabulary, words

Views: 1226

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was just at Free Rice, and do you know they have different subjects you can choose:

and you can also adjust the level for English vocabulary? (You have to answer one question, right or wrong, to get to the level option):

Very nice!
Ah, you can change levels in all the subjects!
And, you can hear the word pronounced! (click on the audio button)... but only in English, too bad! I could use the help in Spanish.
If you'd like to help promote Free Rice by adding a banner to your web page, blog, etc., several choice are available here.
Just a quick link to add to this excellent compilation. Try http://janbrett.com/activities_pages.htm

Check out the Dolch words flashcards, under category D. I recommend browsing the rest of the site too. Jan Brett's artwork is stunning, and the materials on her site are ideal for children of all ages. :)
That's some list! I had no idea Jan Brett was so prolific on the web... Her home page is janbrett.com (you have to search for the home link when on the activities page- she needs a better nav system)
I second the comments about Jan Brett. I also advise teachers to download the Alphabet cards to use above the board as an alphabet chain/chart. (see attached). I also think her coloring pages have lots of contextual content for teaching holidays/special days.

Just want to mention here a couple more recent resources. New pages of content to help teachers.

1. What the Wordle. Many full screen vocab. "Wordles" to prompt vocabulary and discussion. Get the students brainstorming and guessing!

2. Mesenglish Vocabulary videos player. Lots of great ppts on videos for many vocabulary topics. Of course, get many ppts of vocab. topics/themes in our Instructional PPT resources

Full Alphabet Cards.pdf
For very young learners I found that having them make their own picture dictionaries has a great deal of long term value.
I just thought I'd mention it here... Scott Thornbury has a discussion on his A-Z of ELT blog about vocabulary and how students acquire language. Discusses Lexical vs Grammatical approaches. It was about Michael Lewis but pretty much digressed... Pretty technical but might be of help to others.
Oxford Picture dictionary, Word by Word.
Hi Dave,
If you go to my website (http://teachergreg.com) and look under the "teaching" tab, you can find links for each of the following items (i.e. actual worksheets & documents):
Vocabulary
Vocabulary review
Months & ordinals worksheet
Directions maze
Key phrases (classroom English)
Earth Day vocab. PowerPoint
TPR - segment 1
- segment 2
- segment 3
- segment 4
CHINESE NEW YEAR - Worksheet 1
- Worksheet 2
- TPR PowerPoint
- Vocab. PowerPoint
Christmas worksheet (Gr. 5)
Treasure hunt prepositions (Gr. 5)

Also, under the same page, I have a couple of hundred ideas for warmers, presentation, controlled practice and freer practice, as well as ones directed at each of the macro-skills. Most can be used for working on vocabulary.

As I mention any teacher is welcome to use them for free, unless they work in a profit-making business.

All the best, Greg.
Hi,

I ended up preferring another video to this one, but I made your PDF vocabulary list available to my students on my site:

http://foreverenglish.squarespace.com/class-info/2010/9/19/top-100-...

I teach college students in France and they're always whining "On manque du vocabulaire," but I'm not going to be teaching them "house" or "before." Much as I love fun and games, if they don't know this stuff by this time, they may just have to dig in and do some rote study. I kind of liked the "no-nonsense" approach of your PDF file.

Cheers,

Betty Carlson
@bcinfrance

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ddeubel.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service