EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Music

Loading…

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Badge

Loading…

About

103 - Reading Response - Get your students thinking!

Reading response is on basic way of getting students to respond to text. It is very simple but very powerful and useable in the English language classroom.

Make sure to check out all the books on Gif Lingua. Over 2,500. Especially the story category. 

1. Select an interesting story! Keep it at the student's level and read the story together (even maybe stopping from time to time and asking the students to predict - "What's going to happen next?".

I have many favorites but it all depends on the language level of your students. See our Story page or Leveled Readers for many options. Also look in Resources for lots of leveled reading stories, easily printed.

This is one of my favorites! The Eyebrow Story

2. Next - give the students the handout attached, Reading Response Questions.

Either orally or in writing (in a reading response journal with pictures) have them ask/answer some of the questions for
the story they read.

3. Finally - share the answers. The student reads their question and answer . Prompt for discussion.

There you have it! A very quick lesson that is rich in learning and narrative.

Resources:  Reading Response Prompts

Views: 174

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This story was great! I had all the kids read 50% of the book together out loud then in groups they made a comic forecasting what will happen next. They had some great ideas it was fun. Then we finished the story together.

Thanks again!
Kyle,

I second this story for teaching! I have lots of stories that are probably higher up there and real favorites but for teaching, The Eyebrow Story is without a doubt the best.

I always show it to beginning teachers because it makes for such a successful lesson no matter your teaching skill. Just read it together , keep stopping and predict. Even better if you do some extension activity as you did (and comics too!).

Your welcome! He has a few others on our story page - The Blue Shoe, Living Forever, The Clever Stick, Benjamin (another great one for kids), Tess's Tree and a few more...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service