EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Music

Loading…

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Badge

Loading…

About

I came up with this game after a colleague demonstrated it in an inhouse workshop (thanks Jennifer!). I made it much more dynamic and it really is fun!

First preteach the vocab slide for the song. The easiest way is to either get the students to categorize the words (living , dead, abstract or by colour, size, or their own way...). Another way to preteach is for them to ask you questions or each other questions using the words.

Then each student chooses one word and writes it nice and big on a piece of paper or small whiteboard. Everyone stands up and listens to the song. If they hear their word, they sit down. Last one standing wins. Play in groups so if a person sits down they are still interested to see if their group wins.... Another great variation is to let them stand up if the word is said a second time, they can get back into the game!

Enjoy and more coming soon or make your own and share!  See example video versions HERE and HERE

#1 All I want for Christmas is you / You Gotta Be
#2 If i had a million dollars / Lemon Tree

David

Get all the games  HERE.

Views: 3728

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another last one standing -- YMCA and I'm Too Sexy...
Attachments:
Now you can play on video! Yes, just click and play. First let the students try and listen to the words only (hide the screen). Then play again showing the text. Or do this the other way around....Enjoy! Find these on our Kool Karaoke page.

Yeah...I think this is a great game for listening and speaking as well for intermediate level.

Thanks David.
What if they don't hear their word?
Cerriowen,

Good question! Well, number 1, you can take the "non strict " approach and just go with the flow. However, you might get a class with a different and more competitive personality. In that case, I monitor or ask the students to monitor each other around them. Just a short hands down to sit down or hands up to stand up works. Quiet , few notice....

However, if the students are lower, show the words as they listen. This also helps. Either with the ppt or the videos....

Hope this helps "a little" ...

David
I love the second variation, if the word is said another time, they can stand back up (or sit back down again, as required). I think this would be a great activity in any elementary classroom, as part of teaching listening skills : ). And also, there is a little problem solving skill practice in there... which is the best word to choose?

The powerpoints are great, David, really help the game go smoothly. I gotta get on learning powerpoint! It's much better than it used to be.
David...I used these with my middle school classes...(in Korea)...they LOVED the idea of Last One standing and the various songs that you put up...ESPECIALLY YMCA...that is definitely a favorite!

It became an in the classroom "Nurebang" :-)

...but at the same time they were learning...what a great idea! hey were singing it while they were walking out of the classroom :-)
Great idea David! I will use this during my next lesson!

Here is a huge version (25 songs) another teacher made based on our template and original game. Large files but well worth the download time.  

Download all 3 folders. Unzip and then put them all in one folder (FOLDER 1). Play the powerpoint.

Students can choose the song from the splash slide or just go to the song you want to do/play. 

In this version, its easier and students sit/stand when the word is circled on the slide. 

Here are the lyrics to print out for each song. 

Enjoy!

Download FOLDER 1  FOLDER 2   FOLDER 3

Attachments:

Here is a cool ppt full of instant lastonestanding songs/games.  

Just click and play and also has links to the Youtube videos and lyric videos.  Coldplay sky full of stars starts it off!  But there are the beatles, lumineers, jack johnson, empire of the sun, Killers and more ....

Attachments:

Thinking Out Loud is a great song for Lastonestanding. 

Play with this ppt version, just click the slides and go. Use the flashcards for students to cut up and listen and put in order (if you wish). 

Find more videos like this on EFL CLASSROOM 2.0

Attachments:

Here is another option and worksheets / activities for the music video - Thinking Out Loud.  Another song on this same topic is When I'm 64 by the Beatles. 

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service