A great quote should be like a “hammer to the head”, a bolt of lightning leading to new understanding, renewed motivation and increased awareness.
Teachers in this fast moving, changing age of education – need to think a lot about the issues involved in teaching / learning / education. Both those timeless and those of recent importance. Here are a selection of my own “original” quotes to get teachers thinking, reflecting and developing.
Next up – 50 timeless quotes for educators! Get all our 50 lists HERE.
1. Teachers are there for their students. In and out of class. In a community, you all have each others back.
2. Teachers touch eternity and build the future. Always remember how important your job really, truly is.
3. There is more to teaching than just getting through the material.
4. What a school measures is not the only thing or even the most important thing.
5. Learn to reflect and develop each day. Know thy students!
7. Schools no longer have 4 walls. Anytime, anywhere learning is here.
8. Students must learn to drive their own bus and put things together in their own way, shape and form as they drive towards "the answer".
9. It's a thankless and lonely job most times. So much invisible and hidden.
10. Why are experienced teachers often so good? They aren’t living up to other’s standards but the higher one which is always our own.
11. Take pride in your place, your class, your things. Great acts grow out of this beauty.
12. We don’t teach in straight lines. Students don’t learn by painting by numbers.
15. Internet access and access to knowledge is transforming the way we teach and empowering students. Teachers need to “get out of the way” and facilitate, not control.
16. We teachers desire deep down to help those who will be energized by our teachings, who'll make the world better and to continue our own legacy.
17. Learning needs to be reinforced and built upon. Use the 3Rs: Repeat, Review, Recycle.
18. So a teacher expects of the students, so they will be. Learn more about the power of "expectancy results".
19. Teaching is “transactional” and changing moment by moment. It is done, not figured out. Its problem never repeats.
20. A country that does not pay its teachers well is a country that gambles with its future.
21. Teachers touch eternity through the here and now. They don't dream, they get things done. They are there day in and day out for their students and that is more than enough.
22. Teachers try to create in students a feeling of possibility and belief. A feeling that knowledge is not set in stone but of their own making and contribution
23. We cannot teach 21st century curriculum and students in a classroom designed for the 19th.
24. A good teacher is one who is filled with faith in their students.
25. We must try to personally connect and find the key that works to open up curiosity and faith in each student.
26. I'll take a passionate teacher any and every day, before one with high qualifications and marks.
27. Teachers are part of the community and a continuation of it. Classrooms are open forums where human beings are nurtured, kneaded and grown.
28. Language is a seed, a germ. Organic. A teacher carefully spreads it in the right doses and degrees.
29. A teacher grows wiser as the classroom transforms them. Our students teach us who we are.
30. Teachers help students make the right choices not merely just get good grades.
31. How we develop as a teacher until we begin again and then, again and again.
32. Find a school where you have the freedom to teach. Give your students the freedom to learn.
33. Each teacher is unique. Find your own style and a place where you can dance to that tune.
34. Begin with happiness, your own and then your students'. The rest will happen from there ....
35. The teacher that thinks they know everything and thinks they are always right - is most certainly wrong.
36. It is a secret, invisible thing - the learning that becomes us, this skin and bone we walk in.
37. Peace, poetry..... where are they in our curriculums? Are they not our responsibility as teachers?
38. There is no learning without the proper wiring. Lay down foundations first, perfect later. Never try, it is the trying that gets in the way.
39. Such opportunity now for students! Teach digital literacy and prepare them for these huge responsibilities as digital citizens.
40. Alas, there is only so much you can do. A teacher’s job is to lead to the door of learning, a student's to walk in.
41. Learning lacks self awareness. Students learn best when immersed in the content and the learning slyly slides in.
42. A teacher is the motor by which so many more are moved.
43. Day in and day out, teaching is about the proximate, that present and now. A doing, a helping.
44. Don’t be impressed by shiny objects. They are only one of many ways to the same destination. Students first, tech second. Use whatever gets the job done.
45. Self-directed learning is becoming part of a strong educational delivery system. Students no longer have to all move at the same pace or learn with the same material. Learner autonomy matters.
46. Schooling is not the same as education. Educate, don’t school. That way, students will always be coloring their world.
47. Teaching must be a purposeful activity. So too learning on the part of a student. Without purpose, the teaching tires, the learning leaks.
48. Pay attention to the background and prior knowledge of your students. Build on solid ground.
49. Education is never for the sake of the teacher, the administrators, society. It is for each and every student, now and to come.
50. This is what it is all about. Here’s a story that details this very well. Teaching is less a profession than a vocation.
If you enjoyed this - check out these other photo slideshows of inspirational quotes on education.
Add a Remark