Learn About EnglishCentral              Teaching English Magazine             Read The Latest Newsletter               Digital Downloads             TESOL Certificate

It is World Cup fever time! Use the built in motivation that comes with it - to teach your students English!  Get the new and improved/updated resources on Digital Downloads. 

Here are a lot more you can use. 

See our World Cup flashcards (printable) on Quizlet. Also others in our group about soccer. Students can also use and test / play there.

Lots of resources available. See FIFA's website but also Larry Ferlazzo's list of best websites with World Cup resources.    This site offers a quality list of resources too.

I'll be posting resources here too! See this nifty Project World Cup. Students work in groups to collect info about the country , their team and history. then present to the class. Get a great schedule for the World Cup HERE.

Here is a nice ppt (attached) of all the countries in the forthcoming world cup. Test your student's knowledge!  Also, this presentation is a nice interactive summary of all the rules.

You might also try the even bigger Flags of the World presentation.

Find more videos like this on EFL CLASSROOM 2.0
With the soccer field, you might play Whiteboard Soccer.  It really inspires them during the heightened time of World Cup.  This is a kind of online version.

What do you have to share and "teach" using this great event?

Tags: brazil, countries, fifa, project, soccer, sport, sports, world_cup

Views: 2028

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I downloaded the ppt and everything is working. Please try to download it again. Sometimes it does not work the first time.
Regards.
Sulany
The one I posted above had a couple glitches. I've fixed the glitches and added a couple slides at the beginning showing different soccer stadiums around South Africa. I also changed a couple questions. Question 14 is my personal favorite....
The game has worked really well in my classes this week!
Attachments:
Sulany,

I used both this game and just your game as a template for reviewing for another class. Works wonders and especially effective on an IWB. You just click the squares and the question opens up.

Might be great to give to students to make their own quizzes for class, if your students are old enough.

However, I never got the 100 scores to show - but probably my own fault, I'll investigate further.

thanks again.
Here is an adaptation of BAAM and white board soccer. What's going to happen next ? Shoot means he's going to score/miss, Foul means he's going to get a red/yellow card. Pass means no question. 3 correct guesses for a goal
Attachments:
Here is a nice BIg Picture presentation of the World Cup from the Boston Globe. Also, the official world cup song/video - Just Like a Waving Flag by K'Naan, a Somalian. See it in video in our videos.... Also, use this handy cloze, foldem lyric sheet.
Attachments:
Great resource! However, I have heard that Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) by Shakira was the Official World Cup song. This has raised some controversy since Shakira isn't from Africa.
Thanks for posting these great links & for adding us to your list!

We've uploaded lots more quizzes and games to the ESOL courses site over the past few weeks, including numeracy quizzes and quizzes on team countries and nationalities, here:

World Cup ESL & Maths Quizzes

World Cup Countries and Nationalities

There's also a song quiz on Wavin' Flag by Kn'aan, here:

Wavin' Flag Gap Fill Quiz

Black Cat Cideb has a very nice free lesson on the history of football:

http://www.blackcat-cideb.com/

@europeaantje also has some great activities bookmarked on delicious that are worth checking out as well.

http://delicious.com/europeaantje/worldcup2010

Sue :-)
Thought this graphic might be useful at this time:

And a shout out to that group of kids who might not be enthralled with world cup soccer- try to remember them, teach! In fact, if there was a way for private voting, it might be interesting to see what their numbers are... minority rights ;)
Thanks for telling us Sue! I'm just having a beer and ready to go out and join the crowds as S. Korea plays tonight. Real hysteria here....a little like every everywhere I suppose.
Here are some interactive presentations which you might use with classes:

1. World Cup Quiz

2. The field, the rules and how the game is played.
Hot off the press! This World Cup activity book rocks...really nice so be sure to check it out!

Also, we have a whole player full of the BEST world cup or soccer related commerc... Lots of possible uses in the classroom I list HERE.
Attachments:
Yes, everyone here is really excited about it, too!

Am trying to keep the momentum going by posting a quiz on my lessons blog every other day or so.

So far so good... The latest one is on the vuvuzela :-)

http://esolcourses.blogspot.com/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ddeubel.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service