News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

About

seeking advice about welcoming German student into English-speaking class

Hello Everyone,
I am a teacher in an independent school in Michigan, USA. I'm getting a new student today who does not speak English; he's German.
My question is what advice do you have for me for making this young man as comfortable as he can be? I want him to feel engaged, happy, and thriving. The class I have is really nice, very well meaning, very technological. The class is a fourth/fifth mixed grade.
I have several students who are bilingual, but none speak German. There is a teacher in the school who speaks German and a student two doors down who speaks German.
What are some initial steps you would advise me to take? What should I get in place for the long run?
Thank you--I look forward to some expert help from EFL Classroom... Always love the "learning climate" here.

Downloads: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Connie,

Excuse me for not replying earlier. As you know, I have too many spoons in too many soups and can't taste any enough!

This is my own "arbeit", having experienced the joy and frustration of students walking into my classroom, fresh and eager and from all parts of the world. A really unique experience -- like that old show "Mork and Mindy" in a way.

I can say there are a few things you can do (and have probably intuitively already done) to make his adventure so much more "human".

First, buddy him up with a like personality. Check him out and then in your intuitive way, connect like with like . This will be a sure fired success and probably more so for the non German student!

Second, use visual supports when teaching and highlight the main ideas. I have a ppt I produced with some basic ideas for ESL students in the classroom. I know you can't do it too much, seeing it is only one student but really try to accomadate him through the use of educational supports. Graphic organizers, proper grouping, visuals, scaffolding etc...... See the ppt below.

Thirdly (and not lastly but lastly for tonight), show interest in his language, his culture, his place and person. This is imperative and when a classroom or even just a teacher really shows this -- he will bloom. No matter the place, the soil.

Cheers and if you wish, ask him to look up the etymology of Mr. D's last name!

David

PS. make sure you say good bye by saying "Cheers!" to him

Hi David,

Just checking in with how the student is doing after about two weeks of school. He seems happy. I'm trying to be easy on him, just mostly letting him absorb what's going on, letting him take in the class atmosphere and how we go about our projects. I feel a bit worried about him sometimes for whether he's getting bored; right now am not always sure how to ask him to participate. Then I think he's participating every moment just by observing and just being there; he's taking in language every moment of every day. I would think it'd be exhausting.

Art has provided a fine avenue for conveyance of meaning: he gets the concepts when they're presented visually, and when he can respond visually, just as you suggested. He's a really good artist... what a tool this is providing. He's well-liked and watched over by classmates; there's never a time he has to be off by himself.

I like the Mork and Mindy reference!

Thanks for the modifications presentation. Very useful.

Last week I had him show his house to us on Google Earth. This week maybe he can show us some other places of importance.
What's your advice about keyboarding? Should he be doing his writing in German or English or both? Should he switch keyboard types during the day?

Thanks for all your help. Much needed and valued.
Connie
Connie,

You're welcome. I put that ppt together mostly to get my own thoughts on the matter together. Lots to think about when presenting to second language students. You assume so much when you teach and none more so when it comes to language.....

I'd get him using a typing program. He can also learn valuable vocabulary/language at the same time. I used to use All the Right Type with my grade 4 ESLers. I have some typing games on our game page. Larry Ferlazzo also has a whole list. I really think he should do keyboarding in German for any substantive stuff but for small stuff and learning, use the keyboard programs....

Have you tried the Place Spotter quiz I put on the Web site of the day? I think you've seen that before. they made it even speedier and I quite like it.

David
Thanks so much for this, David. I'll look into everything you wrote about!
Connie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service