News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

About

Let this be the place to moan, praise and let others know what really works and doesn't work here. A permanent place for members to let loose and say what they think about this new experiment -- EFL Classroom 2.0.

Ready, set, go........!

Downloads: 340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Another way to alleviate the congestion would be to organize the site based on people and their interests."

Essentially, this is what Web 2.0 is all about; directing specific content (through ad space or websites) to users showing interest in that content. For example, every time "Betty" signs on, she searches for videos and activities associated with them. As her search history supports trends, the server supports her by opening with more of the content she likes each time she signs in. Web 2.0 connects people with similar interests and directs websites right to our "front door" or homepage.

This site is awesome in its archives. As always Dave, great work!

Marcus said:
This is just feedback, please don't take it as an attack. This isn't an easy task at all to maintain and run.

1) The look of the site is average. It has a 2000 circa look to it when teenage clan web designers found out about a membership based site. From there, chat groups all over used this kind of format. However, today we rely more on blogs, wiki's, and the twitter to get messages out. Let's not leave out .rss feeds.

2) I think it's a bit congested. I just got an email for May, and in it I found out about a conference and 4 hour presentations which will happen on the 17th. Sounds interesting, but I won't have enough time to go and come back before work the next day. I guess I missed a Seoul conference, which would have been better to attend. If these were televised or video taped, then teachers could watch them (live, or recorded) at a central place in Seoul without having to travel.

So, that leads to making the site less congested by sectioning off areas based on regions. You could start with SMOE, GEPIK and EPIK areas. From there, people could mention where they are located, and then you would get an idea of who to send related newsletters to. Hopefully, we won't miss the news pertinent to us.

3) Another way to alleviate the congestion would be to organize the site based on people and their interests. This way, if we have an interest in a particular site or file that was uploaded it, we could go to a person related with that resource (even if it wasn't the actual person up uploaded it). For example, say you are an elementary school teacher and you do phonics work. Someone uploads phonics resources, you get notified and if you are also experienced, people can contact you about it. You can share and exchange ideas better this way than just having a sea of resources to go fishing in.
We could all try to use the Diigo social bookmarking more? I think it's a good way to organize all the content/webpages - so that we can access them quickly. Although - I'll have to work out - how to bookmark very quickly! I was a little over-tired when I looked at it - which is how I am most of the time lately.
Sean,

It was great to see you last week and I always enjoy your self-depreciating manner. It is a sign for me of true wisdom. I'm sure Socrates himself probably laughed and said he knew nothing.....

You are right, one of the things about here is that you can comment on anything/everywhere. Just go to the bottom of every page. Leave a message of how you feel. A link you think might help others. A suggestion. It gets read and others will leave info. for you to come back to (you'll be notified). I'd love to have people subscribe and be notified anytime certain things are changed but that would be all the time! People may not notice it but in the belly of this beast, things are always changing...a thousand monkeys at a thousand keyboards...

Maija - yes, i hope others will too. Contribute to our group http://diigo.com/eflclassroom It will automatically appear here on the main page and others can check it out. If you subscribe, you can get a daily / weekly summary of all those links. If others want to contribute to our larger library and even make their own folders to share - simply go to www.diigo.com and sign in as eflclassroom / eflclassroom - go to http://www.diigo.com/tools and get the browser button. Just download and then when you see something you like, (please! make it only something really good!), click the Diigo button and select the folder and it is there for others!

Baronvonpizza - I'm thinking this through! Thanks and I'll find a way!

Right now, I'm getting a BAAM game generator made. Will cost a few bucks but I've gotten so much great feedback from teachers on this game, worth it. Teachers can go and on one page, edit, enter their own questions/answers/dollar amounts and pictures and press a button to generate a custom BAAM game on a unique webpage. Stay tuned!

Keep the ideas coming!

David
Sean's key word here is "search", and as a bank of knowledge that can be searched I think all of the web is a great resource. However, let me ask you something. Did you actually use the card catalog and write down all the call numbers at the library when you were a kid?

This is what I did in school. I would memorize the first digits before the decimal point. I would pick one book out from the crowd. So, let's say a book was "Sp10234.54546" and another related book was "Sp10234.51113". I would remember the "Sp10234" part and stop there. Then, I would go and find "sports" books in the category mentioned. From there, I would look at EACH and EVERY book like in a dictionary fashion. Eventually, I would sample both books plus the other ones while the other students were finishing writing 5 of the call numbers.

That is what I feel this online process of searching is like. Unfortunately, there isn't a clear cut shelf like at a library. At best, we have search engines like google to list them all. That is based on popular linking, rather than content which a library is structured more to categorize and organize.

My suggestion is that when Betty signs on, she doesn't search for videos or activities blindly. She instead is given the name of someone that matches her search instead of the material. From there, she can see the material that person has used. This can be a filter mechanism to weed out new and "unsubstantiated" material, as well as providing a contact. This is something we didn't have as kids in the library.

I think we need to look at ways to bypass all the sifting for "gold" when users already found "them" and spend more time connecting people to people rather than people to material.

Sean Reed said:
"Another way to alleviate the congestion would be to organize the site based on people and their interests."
Essentially, this is what Web 2.0 is all about; directing specific content (through ad space or websites) to users showing interest in that content. For example, every time "Betty" signs on, she searches for videos and activities associated with them. As her search history supports trends, the server supports her by opening with more of the content she likes each time she signs in. Web 2.0 connects people with similar interests and directs websites right to our "front door" or homepage. This site is awesome in its archives. As always Dave, great work! Marcus said:
This is just feedback, please don't take it as an attack. This isn't an easy task at all to maintain and run.

1) The look of the site is average. It has a 2000 circa look to it when teenage clan web designers found out about a membership based site. From there, chat groups all over used this kind of format. However, today we rely more on blogs, wiki's, and the twitter to get messages out. Let's not leave out .rss feeds.

2) I think it's a bit congested. I just got an email for May, and in it I found out about a conference and 4 hour presentations which will happen on the 17th. Sounds interesting, but I won't have enough time to go and come back before work the next day. I guess I missed a Seoul conference, which would have been better to attend. If these were televised or video taped, then teachers could watch them (live, or recorded) at a central place in Seoul without having to travel.

So, that leads to making the site less congested by sectioning off areas based on regions. You could start with SMOE, GEPIK and EPIK areas. From there, people could mention where they are located, and then you would get an idea of who to send related newsletters to. Hopefully, we won't miss the news pertinent to us.

3) Another way to alleviate the congestion would be to organize the site based on people and their interests. This way, if we have an interest in a particular site or file that was uploaded it, we could go to a person related with that resource (even if it wasn't the actual person up uploaded it). For example, say you are an elementary school teacher and you do phonics work. Someone uploads phonics resources, you get notified and if you are also experienced, people can contact you about it. You can share and exchange ideas better this way than just having a sea of resources to go fishing in.
This is a very interesting idea, Marcus. I'm thinking about how it could be implemented...

My suggestion is that when Betty signs on, she doesn't search for videos or activities blindly. She instead is given the name of someone that matches her search instead of the material. From there, she can see the material that person has used. This can be a filter mechanism to weed out new and "unsubstantiated" material, as well as providing a contact. This is something we didn't have as kids in the library.
I think we need to look at ways to bypass all the sifting for "gold" when users already found "them" and spend more time connecting people to people rather than people to material.

Marcus, that about says it all.... We did have a "rate this" system in place awhile back. It wasn't universal or as extensive as probably needed however, it seemed not that many people really used it . But then again, I didn't promote it much......

But I think you are thinking of something much more dynamic. A kind of deeper search function which would allow users to hook up , rather than just them encountering materials for their classroom. I'm going to look into this too. One way might be to decrease the profile (I was going to do this anyway) and make it mandatory to fill in say "5" areas of very high interest. Then users / teachers could search and find members into the same thing. Say, "Second Life" , "phonics", "web based tools", "high school", "epals". Kind of like choosing tags for your profile. But then again, it might mean just having someone versed in search to devise something "deeper" and it might mean also somehow putting / pulling up onto each person's profile or with the resource....who just downloaded / what...

Got to think about this but a very high level and valuable framework you've outlined! Thanks.

David
I love the lessons in a can. Lately I have been suggesting them to new teachers, but specific lessons are hard to link too.
This is my first day. I'm looking forward to new experiments in EFL classroom.
Nejat

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service