News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

About

I really think that English teachers can make a difference. Sure we teach and it is a job like any other BUT I also believe it offers us the opportunity to really bring a little bit of "understanding" as in that Elvis Costello song -- "What's so funny about peace, love and understanding"?

If we can affect eternity, as a teacher....if we can change the world in a small way.....I believe it is through the power of giving our students an awareness of the immense beauty, diversity and difference of this world held together by our common bonds.

Awareness is primary to good people, good govt, good countries, good citizens, a good future of this world. Look at some countries that don't have this "awareness" , neither at home, in school or in the media (and see our TED player for a great, quick presentation on this theme!). These countries create a world of hate and divisiveness.

What I'm getting at is that we have to start learning more about each other and to this end, I've started putting some videos together in a handy folder titled "Small World" . In our A/V player.

The first two are about "What's for dinner" and "Weddings" around the world ....more and much more coming.

Do you know of any other videos that help in this regard? Other than the Dancing Matt videos? :)

Take a look -- great programs teaching about our wonderful differences that are in our similarities!

David

Downloads: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DAVID,

Perfect timing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We 're having a final semester class party

today and the video is a great lesson tie-in.

Jude
Jude,

Glad you can use it! I'm a pack rat and this weekend will get more up there and also reorganize the categories of the player somewhat.

I have a lot of stuff about "the world" and will throw it into the SMall World folder in our player. I showed this to fellow teachers (what's for dinner) and they thought it really good "authentic" viewing for EFL learners. But yes, for higher level learners.

Also, our practice page (under LEARNING) has lots of stuff about the "world" in click and play....

Cheers
Please see the Small World -- Birthdays around the world and Holidays around the world in our A/V Small world folder [Watch - A-V player]. There is a nice episode about the mud festival in Korea!

I'll be also uploading some really great stuff that compares cultures around the world shortly. Busy, now and then when I have a moment, adding subtitles....

Enjoy.
I stumbled upon a cool website that uses hip-hop to teach..http://www.flocabulary.com/language_arts.html think this may be useful for intermediate to advanced learners who like dancing or hip hop . There are a few free preview videos to check out that may be useful in the classroom. I myself haven't developed any lessons for these materials yet, but hopefully someone might find this link useful...I didn't know exactly where to add this info so I just stuck it here...David if you have a better place for it feel free to rearrange it...
have fun..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service