Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products           Gif Lingua Books

Earn A TEFL Certificate

TEACH WITH Gif Lingua

Best Video Lessons

Teaching Tips

Become a Patron

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Our Weekly Magazine

Music

Loading…

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 17, 2018. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Stories to inspire and teach. Share yours.

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Jun 10, 2018. 79 Replies

I'd like to share in this forum and would like others to share, short stories that might apply to education / teaching and that will inspire. I believe stories and a narrative are powerful, whether…Continue

Tags: hodja, tao, zen, professional_development, storytelling

Favorite Movie about Teaching?

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Apr 23, 2018. 88 Replies

I'd like to compile a list of movies…Continue

Tags: best, video, film, teaching, movie

About

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.

Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it in the classroom?

Also see all the Alphabet related books, all levels, on Gif Lingua Books. 

Alphabet Videos and our Alphabet Resource search

Students can study and learn the alphabet on Gif Lingua

This is my favorite Alphabet video.... I also used those phonics things/videos on the practice page in phonics. They are cool.

Views: 4512

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

According to the stats I check every month on google, the alphabet and word activities are gaining popularity. I looked at the Toolkit, and some of the word activities, but they are not intuitive as to what they are supposed to do. Perhaps a lead in that tells you what they do and how to play them. The Ice Cube Words looked like fun, but I wasn't sure what to do with them.
I tried it too, Anne, and I couldn't figure out how the game "worked"

Maybe you are just supposed to fool around with the letters without any scoring?

Ah, looked up the website, those games are for interactive whiteboards... user decides exactly how to "work" them, I'm guessing... very pretty!

http://www.teacherled.com/

For example, the game called "Yatzee" in the Teacher's toolkit is described here, as Letter Dice, on the website.

Ah, found Ice Cube Alphabet : )
Ellen,

That makes sense. In my last years of classroom teaching, I saw a whiteboard, and a view that presents the letters than can be moved around the site according to what the group is doing at the time is a very useful idea. What would be useful would be some lesson plan ideas with suggestions what can be done with this resource.
I have no idea how to embed things, but I would like to mention the website , which has some pretty helpful interactive activities for kids. I have a phonics Afterschool class that goes nuts just to have a go at the touchscreen as they're learning about consonant and vowel sounds (from the ABC section of the site). Of course, there's other materials there, too, but since this thread focuses mainly on the alphabet...
Hey James, what website are you talking about? It sounds great!
There are some alphabet resources that people might find useful on our website here: http://www.esolcourses.com/uk-english/beginners-course/unit-1/the-a... (the audio files use UK English pronunciation)

They were designed for adult beginners who are unfamiliar with the western alphabet, but they could also be used for teaching kids.
I uploaded some more Alphabet materials onto the Elementary Page! Mostly, phonics exercises for kids to review letters... Scroll down and find them under "Alphabet Helpers".

Here's an example for the letter P.
This is a fun little program/site - you can write any word or sentence up to 21 spaces with butterfly wings!

Butterfly Alphabet

Also, it gives me a nice segue to encourage everyone to visit Operation Butterfly (a true story)... memorable, I promise.
What makes this ABC book special is the animal sounds included in the audio. Enjoy!

You can download the swf file for this book here. Then you can play it on your computer without an internet connection : )

Click "save page as" to download, or simply hit CNTRL+S
Argh, I lost my post! Ok, start again... I posted earlier as slideshows. I finally got around to making swf files for them, with short video clips embedded in the last slide of each... so cute! I'm still a long way from having a complete Zambian Alphabet, but I like it.

I was looking through these files again, and I am still so impressed with the quality of these resources. I checked out David's esnips folder with the videos for each letter of the alphabet, randomly choosing "Q"... so dear! A little after the one minute mark, there is a clip of quails... I'm going to check out the rest of them, maybe remix (shorten the presentation for each letter and string together in one video) for entertainment/review... we'll see : ). What do you think?

The links in this discussion are really worth checking out!
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service