EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Photos

• Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Learning Communities

Started by Allan Richards in Teaching and Methodology Oct 27. 0 Replies

Hey everyone!I am new to the forum and am curious how you feel learning communities benefit educators when it comes to developing a collective responsibility as educators. Do you feel a forum like…Continue

Implementation

Started by Christina Shepherd in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 26. 1 Reply

How does implementation help you out throughout the year? I am curious to know what things have worked for you and what things have not worked for you through an implementation standard.  Continue

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 19. 74 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Top 5 Game

Started by susie silver in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 17. 14 Replies

Hi David Maybe its obvious to some but I'm not sure how to play and I also want to create a top 5 game as well. What is the point of it. There are always 5 answers. Do the students guess according to…Continue

Tags: 5, top

Badge

Loading…

About

It's summer and I thought it would be great to share books we'd recommend.

Leave a note about why you like the book and recommend it. 

This resource category has many you can download or as suggestions. 

It can be of any category! Professional Development, TESOL, Linguistics, kids books, resources books, inspiration, summer reading.....
I also recommend this cool site - Good Reads! Make your own account or help build our own library of book reviews (but put a link back here telling us your reviewed a book). 
Don't forget to visit our ELT BOOKSTORE. Handpicked lists of books recommended by teachers for teachers!
So what book will you tell us about?

Eflclassroom's bookshelf: read

Thought and Language - Revised EditionThe Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human NatureThe Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates LanguageThe Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human NatureLinguisticsListen & Perform : TPR Student Notebook

More of Eflclassroom's books »
Eflclassroom's book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Teachers About Teaching

More of Eflclassroom's books »

Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Educating Esme - Esme Raji Codell
Teacher Man – Frank McCourt
Freedom Writers Diary – Zlata Filipovic
Finding Mrs. Warneke – Cindi Rigsby
Tomorrow is School- Don Sawyer
The Teacher Who Couldn’t Read – John Corcoron
The Accidental Teacher – Eric Mandel
I become a teacher – Cratis Williams
Losing My Faculties – Brendan Halpin
The Emergency Teacher – Christina Asquith
There are no shortcuts Rafe Esquith
Teach like your hair is on fire – Rafe Esquith
Letters to a young teacher – Jonathan Kozol
Summerhill – O’Neill
Cries from the corridors – Peter McLaren
The Students Are Watching – Theodore Sizer
Ms Hempel Chronicles – Sarah Shun-Lien
Among Schoolchildren – Tracy Kidder
The Passionate Teacher – Robert Fried
The Courage to teach – Parker Palmer
Joey Pigza Swallowed The Key – Jack Gantos

Views: 164

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just reviewed this book - Freak the Mighty. Take a look at it here - amazing book for students or adults...
The page is a great tip! I'm currently reading One hundred years of solitude and think it is great/bizzare especially when followed by these illustrations.
The same illustrator did another book I like and it has personal meaning for me: The Master and Margarita.
I've always loved when book have pictures, but it seems that it is not so usual any more (question of money?) and it is a pity...

Please, it is summer - and I need some good (no school;-) tips!
I read the Master and Margarita when I was young, George... I remember wishing someone would give me a globe like that : )... I was 16, but I still really wished for it!

Always a kid... I want that!
Ellen, and what is your favourite book/s? :-)
Summertime............ reading is easierrrrrrrrrr! I would like to recommend one of my favourites English writers, Nick Hornby. See here all the books and movie scripts he has written so far
Marisa Constantinides tweeted this site - if you input some writing, it will tell you which writer it was similar to. Lots of fun but I'm not sold on its accuracy!

Says I write like this guy. I like the titles of his books and think I'll check him out over the summer....I need to balance my reading a bit and stop reading a lot of "heavy" stuff...
It says I write like Raymond Chandler! (I've never read a detective story in my life :D )
I pasted several texts of mine and it gave me several answers (and I am satisfied;-) : James Joyce, Lewis Carrol or Ernest Hemingway. It is fun:-) but it measures immeasurable.
OMG!!! You came out GOOD!!

I'm going to try again :D
There is a fun discussion going on over at Fireside, Hit them books before hitting the road! The idea is to choose ten books to pack along with you as you move to a dream location. I wrote this post as a reply to that discussion. I hope others will cross post too!

I am almost feeling panicky, in a pretend way, because I don't think I have the 10 books in my house! I will have to make a trip to Powells (yes, I am showing off that I live in the city with the biggest bookstore in the world : ) ).

I'll start with the sentimental...

1. The Animal Family by Randall Jarrell (illus. by Maurice Sendak, a little plus). A story about a lonely hunter who falls in love with a mermaid, and the family they create together. I first read this book to my own children, then to every class I have taught, from spec ed k-4 to GED classes for kids who had left school and everything in between. I lent it to the guidence counselor in the first school I taught at, to read to his wife at bedtime. He returned the book with a big smile. It is the perfect book for bringing about a tangible tenderness, in the classroom or in the family.

2. The Land I Lost (Adventures of a boy growing up in Vietnam) by Quang Nhuong Huynh, illus by Dinh Mai Vo. Some people have a family crest, we have a family book. I can't tell you how many times our copy has been read. Where else are you going to learn how to capture a boa constrictor? (You catch it by its head, then hold your arms up and let it coil around your body, and walk home while gently biting its tail- this is an important detail, because it's what keeps the snake from constricting and suffocating you! When you get home a friend helps you uncoil the snake. Once you can tame it, you can use the coiled snake as a cool pillow for your head.) The book is about 12 chapters, each with a great story about living in a small village on jungle's edge, in central highlands of Vietnam. You will long for your own water buffalo well before the book ends. The first edition has the prettiest cover- Vo's art is lovely.

3. Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel. When my son was recently in the hospital, this is one of the books I brought to him for comfort. I had so much fun reading this book to him and his brother when they were little. They loved it so much!! We had to wait for the rest of the trilogy to be written, and by the time the third book was published, they were old enough to read it to themselves. I just found out tonight that a 4th book, the prequel, has been published. I will have to get it tomorrow as a surprise!

Silverwing web site

Well, that's it for tonight. This book choosing is exhausting, but I'm going to bed with a smile on my face.
I've been making lists on Good Reads. If anyone wants to help out - use the above ID/PW to fill our pages with lists.

Here's a nice one on linguistics and all the books I've chosen and recommend for teachers.

Make sure if you buy to think about using our ELT Amazon Bookstore and helping support our community. Lots of recommended books there too!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service