News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products           Gif Lingua Books

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka on Thursday. 74 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

Stories to inspire and teach. Share yours.

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Jun 10, 2018. 79 Replies

I'd like to share in this forum and would like others to share, short stories that might apply to education / teaching and that will inspire. I believe stories and a narrative are powerful, whether…Continue

Tags: hodja, tao, zen, professional_development, storytelling

About

I'd like to compile a list of movies about teaching. What's your favorite one? List one and why it really is good..... even better if you can post a clip!  Here is a nice list to get us started!  Also see this Rotten Tomatoes list about best H.S. movies. 

Here's my nominee, Dead Poet's Society. I guess cause I'm male but I really love the way Robin William's character confronts authority and gets his students to see outside the box.

Also see our Philosophy At The Movies quiz.  Match the film with a teaching philosophy. Can you? 

Also see these two posts offering lessons for teachers from the two movies.

The King's Speech     |        McFarlane

Get more movie related teaching resources HERE

Views: 3240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going to lie about the teaching part and suggest Grave of the Fireflies, just to get someone to watch it!!! Watch it!!!!

Ok, just watch the first part, less than 15 minutes... then decide about the rest : )
David,

I'm a old guy. But the classic teaching movie to me was: " To Sir, with Love". Teachers do make

a difference___!!!!!!!! A good teacher matters!!!!!!

Jude
Jude,

Quality never ages! Only gets better - that holds true for you or Sydney Poitier!
Hey Jude, that's the only one that came to my mind too ; ) BTW, how old are you??? I am 50, it is the first birthday I have had a hard time accepting... I never minded one up til now. But I'm getting over it, what can you do? I am still young to men who are older than me :D

And who cares what those youngens think of me? They just have sooo far to go. I don't like the physical decline though (eyes, ears...) That doesn't seem like a fair price for all this wisdom.. oh yuck, I really don't like that part!!
Ellen,

Guess, 49. LOve that song from song Lulu. I will get the same feelling next year!!!!!!!!!!!! It's all

in the mind____can't teach surviving!!!!

Jude

Ellen Pham said:
Hey Jude, that's the only one that came to my mind too ; ) BTW, how old are you??? I am 50, it is the first birthday I have had a hard time accepting... I never minded one up til now. But I'm getting over it, what can you do? I am still young to men who are older than me :D

And who cares what those youngens think of me? They just have sooo far to go. I don't like the physical decline though (eyes, ears...) That doesn't seem like a fair price for all this wisdom.. oh yuck, I really don't like that part!!
I've got a nice one with an inspiring soundtrack too. I saw on TV short ago and I really enjoyed it. Inspired in a true story, if you still haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?   This workshop conversation guide about the movie is stellar.
;-)
Notice the pearl necklace in the official website.

Nothing beats" Welcome Back Kotter", I like the scene where the Head Master forces Mr. Kotter to use a really bad textbook. That makes me think of our textbook" How Kind your are" He used the textbook for balancing exercises. Students walked around with the textbook on their head
Gotta agree with David... Dead Poets Society takes the cake. The final scene is so powerful, it brings a tear to my eye even ust watching the youtube clip. I used to think that this movie was about being a great teacher and inspiring the minds of students. Now that I've got some more years under my belt, this movie is more about the bravery and individuality of great students. It reminds me that a large part of being an outstanding teacher is being a willing and dedicated student.

My favorite movie about teaching is Mr. Holland's Opus. Richard Dreyfus delivers an excellence performance as a struggling jazz musician/composer who gradually devotes himself to the teaching profession, conveying his love of music to (and enhancing the lives of) at least a couple generations of students.

The timespan of the movie highlights historical changes to the U.S. public education system, which often involved cutting art and music programs - especially in the period following the Vietnam war - and the theme glorifies the work of sincere teachers who make personal sacrifices and sometimes have to buck the system.
Thanks to everyone's referrals, I've lined up some great personal viewing.

Ron,

You are bang on and I had completely forgot about Mr. Holland's Opus! Here's the trailer for those who haven't seen it and as Ron suggests, it is an important film about teaching for many reasons...

Has anyone seen the movie , "The Class" a French movie originally titled, "Entre les Murs " (between the walls)? I haven't seen it and want to know if it is good. It did win the Cannes Palme d'Or so it must be quite good - though you never know!
I thought 'To Sir with Love' was a good one too.....!
Maija

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service