The Tefl Spin         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products           Gif Lingua Books

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

Earn A TEFL Certificate

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Music

Loading…

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 17, 2018. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Stories to inspire and teach. Share yours.

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Jun 10, 2018. 79 Replies

I'd like to share in this forum and would like others to share, short stories that might apply to education / teaching and that will inspire. I believe stories and a narrative are powerful, whether…Continue

Tags: hodja, tao, zen, professional_development, storytelling

Favorite Movie about Teaching?

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Apr 23, 2018. 88 Replies

I'd like to compile a list of movies…Continue

Tags: best, video, film, teaching, movie

About

I'd like to compile a list of movies about teaching. What's your favorite one? List one and why it really is good..... even better if you can post a clip!  Here is a nice list to get us started!  Also see this Rotten Tomatoes list about best H.S. movies. 

Here's my nominee, Dead Poet's Society. I guess cause I'm male but I really love the way Robin William's character confronts authority and gets his students to see outside the box.

Also see our Philosophy At The Movies quiz.  Match the film with a teaching philosophy. Can you? 

Also see these two posts offering lessons for teachers from the two movies.

The King's Speech     |        McFarlane

Get more movie related teaching resources HERE

Views: 3214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, this isn't actually a movie but I figure it qualifies. It is film and it is teaching. Man! How I dreamed of having a teacher like Mr. Kotter! Imagine being on this debate team...... funny stuff and this is A Flash Back to Welcome Back, Kotter.

Here's a really "real" movie - Teachers starring Nick Nolte. Which one of these teachers are you?

You can watch most of the movie on youtube. Just click the video and start with part 1!

'Mr. Holland's Opus'....hands down the best teaching movie.
Hi,
What about the movie 'When the boys Sing', or 'Dangerous Minds' or 'The Freedom Writers'
and one that is so difficult to watch "Taming Andrew" or by its other name 'When Andrew Comes Home'.
All of them are great movies and all about teaching...
Good luck and let me know what you think.
Ros

not a movie about teaching but a great movie to show and discuss is "Truman Show"
  because you can discuss so many things in connection with it..
My favourite is ,as pointed out, Dead Poets Society.

Ros said:

Hi,
What about the movie 'When the boys Sing', or 'Dangerous Minds' or 'The Freedom Writers' and one that is so difficult to watch "Taming Andrew" or by its other name 'When Andrew Comes Home'. All of them are great movies and all about teaching...
Good luck and let me know what you think.
Ros
I've been needing some inspiration these days and after spending several days evaluating elementary teachers in their classrooms - I was reminded of this sensational film / documentary - Etre et Avoir (To Have and To Be). Over a nice bottle of wine, I gained renewed appreciation for the art of "helping our young". Must watch teaching movie!

There was a movie that came out in the early eighties called " Class of 1984". It was a dark prediction of what the classroom of the future would be like. I had a lot of early Punk rock imagery. This was long before punk had entered mainstream culture and it was still viewed as violent and anti-social. It has lots of music by Teenage Head. It was interesting as an early look at the punk subculture. Lots of the violence was exaggerated. This is from someone who used to be a regular at Larry's Hideaway.
I agree. Although I'm old, I never really watched the whole film until a recent international flight on Asiana airlines, and I was impressed with how totally dedicated the Potier character was to connect with really teach his students some valuable life lessons.
Headrick -- you are showing your age :) We have more in common than I could imagine. I didn't spend a lot of time there but was there unfortunately on the night of one infamous bust. I spent a few hours downtown..... Must have been 84/85 - my uni. days.

I completely forgot about one of my fav. fav. fav. teaching movies. I've watched this with a class of teachers and It has many important lessons. Mad Hot Ballroom. About several classes of students who compete in a ballroom dancing competition.

Lately, I've been spending LOTS of time on my bicycle and wind trainer. Indoors with headphones and either reading or watching programs. One program I've been watching is The White Shadow. I don't know how I missed this one but it is superb! What a series/sitcom should be. It tackles real issues about education and teaching without preaching or moralizing. About asking questions.

A good tip for all you overseas teachers. You can watch a lot of "not available in your region" content by downloading and installing your own VPN. (virtual Private network - a kind of layer which protects your own computer). Best way is through Hot Spot Shield. Install, turn it on when you want to watch these White Shadow videos or videos/tv at HULU or NBC. I know teachers miss home and this makes things a little easier....
This movie "Blind Side" is really watchable. A true story , well acted. Not specifically about teaching but it revolves around the high school education of a black student, "adopted" by a rich family. Raises lots of questions about the role of access, money, poverty, family, friends in education.

When's Precious coming on? :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service