News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products           Gif Lingua Books

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 17, 2018. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Stories to inspire and teach. Share yours.

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Jun 10, 2018. 79 Replies

I'd like to share in this forum and would like others to share, short stories that might apply to education / teaching and that will inspire. I believe stories and a narrative are powerful, whether…Continue

Tags: hodja, tao, zen, professional_development, storytelling

About

I'd like to compile a list of movies about teaching. What's your favorite one? List one and why it really is good..... even better if you can post a clip!  Here is a nice list to get us started!  Also see this Rotten Tomatoes list about best H.S. movies. 

Here's my nominee, Dead Poet's Society. I guess cause I'm male but I really love the way Robin William's character confronts authority and gets his students to see outside the box.

Also see our Philosophy At The Movies quiz.  Match the film with a teaching philosophy. Can you? 

Also see these two posts offering lessons for teachers from the two movies.

The King's Speech     |        McFarlane

Get more movie related teaching resources HERE

Views: 3239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a bird. It's a plane. It's school reformers.

"Waiting for Superman" is a documentary about how the American education system is depending too much on chance for reform.

I just read an article about it on NPR

and I wanted to share.

DPS is a great movie, how about Mr Holland's Opus.
The British site Teacher's TV has a list of the top 10 movies about schools and some talk of other movies about school by teachers.  Nice slideshow...

Almost Famous is a great coming-of-age movie, and I think it has a positive message about real education and real experiences, as well as keeping true to yourself in the midst of being astounded : ).

It also has a great line, "Your mother kind of freaked me out." :D

I liked it as much, I think, as I liked Big (a tender favorite, who could not love that movie?) Here's the trailer, I couldn't find the full version, or even clips, online... better than nothing!

I just saw "The King's Speech" and blogged about it.    It isn't strictly speaking, a "teaching " movie but in many ways it is about teaching and how Lionel, the speech therapist "teaches" Bertie, the king. Sterling movie in any case.

This "Goofy" cartoon from 1952 is a pretty interesting look at teaching and how far (or little), we've come. 

Teachers are Human Beings too. 

Dead Poet Society , Emperor;'s Club, Choir are all good for my students.I LOVE them all.

I like and use this one with my students - shakespeare poem

I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate it, I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you're not around, and the fact that you didn't call. But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.

10 Things I Hate About You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3G_OAKMfSc&feature=player_embedded

Has anyone seen the movie "Bad Teacher"?   It's playing in my town but don't think I'm going to go - reviews are horrible. What do you think? 

Hello everybody,

I think using movies in the EFL/ESL classroom is of paramount importance in today's world.

Attached is a presentation about this issue.It is based on "Dead Poets Society" which is an example among many movies that can be pedagogically exploited in different ways.

I hope you will enjoy it.

regards

Attachments:

Another great TV series with a teacher - The Wire.    Mr. Prezbo.  - his line, "Trick 'em into thinking they aren't learning and they do" is classic. 

Here is an oldie but goldie - Music of the Heart with the marvelous Meryl Streep.  Her heart is broken by a cheating husband so she goes to Harlem to help poor kids.  Kind of hokey but she pulls it off. Any other actress would never have. Here she is with her first class.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service