News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

About

Yeah that's right! I'm offering a hundred free Amazon dollars to the best set of tunes posted here from Mixwit!

We teachers (and students!) have to live alone, be vagabonds, travel, be apart from family, friends and "sedatives". So in the spirit of making the world smaller just post up your best Mixwit set for your own homeland/country and be a winner.

Mixwit is easy as pie. You don't even have to sign up if you don't want to. Just A) Choose the songs B) Choose the player C) Share and embed here.

Let's see what happens. Here is my own entry about my Home and native land Canada. Made in 10 min. Kid you not! (no! I can't win :( ) don't worry .... be happy.

. Contest closes Oct. 15th. Voting starts Oct. 7th. Make a set and make it happen and learn about technology along the way. Please post thumbs up to whatever you liked about another members set....

VOTE HERE!

Here's the Winner from Justino.

Downloads: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations indeed Justino!!
I'm listening to your mix now. Great tunes, I must say. I see you have made another mix too. I'll definitely check it out.
Thanks to David for introducing mixwit to us. Making a mix was both fun and frustrating for me. There were a few tunes that I couldn't include. For example, I would have chosen "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" rather than "Alberta Bound" if it had been possible. I was going to annotate my playlist when I posted it but I decided that the music should speak for itself. The contest is over so I'll do it now. Here tis:
YYZ - Everyone from Toronto knows that YYZ (pronounced: Why Why Zed) is the code for Toronto Pearson International Airport. Obviously it's the first place I go when I go home. YYZ is one of the few instrumentals by Rush, another reason why I like it. Rush's performance with Max Webster at the CNE Grandstand in August of 1977 was the first stadium concert I attended.

Believe Me - This is one of my favourite songs by Moist, a band I saw at an outdoor concert in London, Ontario. The concert was a part of London's Canada Day celebrations if memory serves. I like this song because it has a tinge of melancholy, or perhaps it'd be better to say that it has a bitter-sweet quality, especially in the vocals. I'm finding it difficult to explain this in English. There is a Japanese word, natsukashii that perfectly connotes my feeling when I listen to this song.

Toronto #4 - Well here's another example of where I was frustrated by mixwit. I would have chosen a few other "Hip" tunes before this one, including "Blow at High Dough", "Bob Caygeon" and "Fifty Mission Cap". The Tragically Hip was the most popular band in Canada during the 90's. It frequently wrote songs that reflected the experience of Canadians. Experiences that only Canadians could relate to, hence its inability to expand its "market". The Hip's steadfast commitment to remaining true to itself is very appealing to me, especially since it's not artificial. At the end of the day, the songs, in and of themselves, are what really resonate for me as a frost-bitten Canadian boy.

Four Strong Winds - I included the Neil Young version because the Ian and Sylvia version, the original version, wasn't available. This is an example of a song that Canadians of my generation scoffed at when they were kids because their parents liked it. My Mum saw Ian and Sylvia perform in Yorkville in the 60's. The distain was entirely feined. Secretly we LOVED this stuff.

Big Yellow Taxi - The title of this song refers to Toronto police cruisers, which used to be big Plymouth Furies painted bright yellow. When it was discovred that the yellow paint contained lead, the Metro Toronto Police Department decided to repaint the whole fleet, and so a Toronto tradition was erased. Natsukashii, eh!

I'm running out of steam, and I really should get some work done, so I'll stop here. To sum it up, I chose the each track because it evoked natsukashii, either musically, lyrically, or both.
Cheers!

ddeubel said:

Thanks to everyone who participated and the MANY who voted. It was a semi landslide and the winner was Justino's Homesick Blues Mixwit Playlist. Take a listen!

Congrats Justino.

Post up your mixwit playlists for others here when you get some time to make one. I always need more musical inspiration!

David

I have now resurrected MIXWIT. Here's my Homesick playlist! The dead do live. Disregard this below. Long live Mixwit!

Wow! Mixwit really is DEAD.

I got this email today about the death. I thought I'd share the info. and we could kinda have a wake....

Hello (former) Mixwit user,

We saved your mixtapes =)

Mixwit is dead, but the spirit of mixtapes lives on through the
open source community. Over the past month we've completed
mixwidget.org - a new open-source mixtape project based on
our former Mixwit mixtape.

As part of this project, we have published each Mixwit
user's data on a temporary site. This site will be available
through April 2009, after which it will cease to exist.

You'll find all of your mixtapes and favorites here:

http://mixwit-is-dead.com/ddeubel

Inside the .zip file are "ready-to-play" folders containing
all of the files you need to play your mixes. Simply add
one or more of these folders to your blog or website and
point to the index.html file.

For more information on how to create or edit your new mixtape,
please refer to _instructions.html in your mixtape folder
or visit http://mixwidget.org/how_to.

http://mixwidget.org : the open-source Flash mixtape player

http://mixwit-is-dead..com : temporary host for Mixwit users' data

Questions or issues? @reply us on twitter (@mixwit)

Thanks again for all of your support. We'll be back in a
couple of weeks with more info on our new project: cloud.tv.
You can follow on twitter at: http://twitter.com/cloudtv

Take care,

Radley & Mike

I was thrilled when I got that email, but then I realized that I couldnt make heads or tails of directions. I guess I need a place to "host" some part of the data.
Justino,

I hate those music Nazis! It has really got me thinking about the role of corporations in controlling expression and enjoyment. Also, what exactly is "ownership" when it comes to music? I"m not as radical as Proudhon when he declared that all "private property is theft" BUT I have to question how anyone can "own" music?

Yes, it is a creation but it is also natural. Like language. Where is the core, the boundary line? Who sets that point/mark where ownership begins and "the public " ends? Do I own my own song, the song I sing in the shower? How can anyone own music when it really is in a sense, a natural expression of being human - like defecating, making love or chatting with friends? I really don't get it and I'm lost when it comes to mammoth corporations saying I can't enjoy X or Y song unless I kneel down to them and pay them.

Will one day, we have to swipe our mind debit card before being able to use a new / cool word?

Anyways, if you send me the url, I'll put the files up here and you can play wherever, whenever, however..... Or post the files... No problem, let the music be everywhere...

Davdi
My url is here: http://mixwit-is-dead.com/justinoxxii

When it comes to intellectual property things are heading in a really scarey direction. Where the line that consumers rights end is unclear, but it is clear that the RIAA mean to draw the line in order to profit at the expense of the consumer. It slipped under the radar because of Obama's presidency, but we now have a "Copyright Czar".

I might even be amiable to copyright protections for media, but the clear abuses on the part of various evil-doers have lead me to a rabid disregard for copyright... especially in the classroom. I really enjoyed this TED Talk

Justino,

I'll give you some links to your playlists tonight.

Yeah, I love that LL talk and have shared it abundantly, especially too because it is an "ideal" presentation. Boring topic that he brings to life. He doesn't ramble, he is concise, the right amount of emotion/fact. Just a perfect example of what a presentation should be.....

fight the power,

David
Have you seen Glogster? Much of it looks like girls designing for their facebook page, but you can embed a lot of music in one poster.Plus video, plus special effects, plus plus plus :D Here is an example:

Ellen,

Yeah, I was excited about glogster when it was in Beta last year. But it was then clunky... I"ll be checking it out and will report back!

Justino -- just got home, haven't forgotten about your wonderful playlists...they are a coming..

Justino,

Go here to play your contest winner!

If for some reason it doesn't play, you'll have to reset your flash player security settings. Go here for instructions.

http://eflclassroom.ning.com/justino/embed.html">Here's how you can embed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service