Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Donate - Support Us!           Gif Lingua Books

Become A Supporter

TEACH WITH Gif Lingua

What We Offer

Become a Patron

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Our Weekly Magazine

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Stories to inspire and teach. Share yours.

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Jun 10. 79 Replies

I'd like to share in this forum and would like others to share, short stories that might apply to education / teaching and that will inspire. I believe stories and a narrative are powerful, whether…Continue

Tags: hodja, tao, zen, professional_development, storytelling

Favorite Movie about Teaching?

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Apr 23. 88 Replies

I'd like to compile a list of movies…Continue

Tags: best, video, film, teaching, movie

Learning Communities

Started by Allan Richards in Teaching and Methodology Oct 27, 2017. 0 Replies

Hey everyone!I am new to the forum and am curious how you feel learning communities benefit educators when it comes to developing a collective responsibility as educators. Do you feel a forum like…Continue

Implementation

Started by Christina Shepherd in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 26, 2017. 1 Reply

How does implementation help you out throughout the year? I am curious to know what things have worked for you and what things have not worked for you through an implementation standard.  Continue

About

I think one of the great ways to get our young to learn English is through music. For many reasons. as I outline in this article. It is even better, more inspiring, more engaging when they see their fellow country men/women singing in English! So in this spirit, let's share some of our favorite international artists singing in their second language!  

View all videos and music in this video player

Get the full player and lyric book HERE

Here's a brave singer from Korea, to start off this directory!

Views: 2996

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I LOVE this song. Peter Gabriel but most and more importantly, Youssou Ndour, a Senegalese sensation. He's my number 2 guy when it comes to African music (behind my beloved Ali Farke Toure). He really does it all and here with Peter Gabriel he's "Shakin' the Tree". Magnifique!

Attachments:

Today I highlight someone who is a blood sake and who I call the "Swiss Bob Dylan" - Stephan Eicher. Oh, how I enjoyed so many, many bottles of wine listening to him in the mountains of Corsica! He sings in 4 languages. This song, is my ultimate favorite, one of Neil Young's. Neil wrote it about where I'm from N.Ont. , about a place just down the road where he stayed when a teenager and I a young, young boy........ big birds flying overhead.... Stephan is the perfect example of an international artist, singing and inspiring through his singing in English....

Attachments:
Hmmm, David's got nostalgia... yes, I could be writing more useful comments, but this is all I can manage ; )

Helpless helpless hellllpless
Ellen,

As one famous Surrealist once said - "Do not deny us our sedatives!".... keeps me going in this many times, mad world...
Hello everybody, I've been missing for a while and now I see you have started a great and interesting thread on world music, soooooooooooo I must have a go, a say or sthg.
In the first place I would like to introduce one of my favourite Spanish rock band, Dover. Despite the name, the band originated in Madrid and have had a big collection of no. ones in the charts from the start.
Here you can see the entry on Wikipedia

Enjoy! It will be continued. So long!
Wow! Love it! They sure know how to have a good time and deliver and rock! Pure stuff and I even understood their pronounciation. You can't beat good old fashion rock n' roll. Great addition.....
I knew you would like this although they have better songs: Devil is one of my favourites

ddeubel said:
Wow! Love it! They sure know how to have a good time and deliver and rock! Pure stuff and I even understood their pronounciation. You can't beat good old fashion rock n' roll. Great addition.....
There's alot to like about this band, just not the music :D White noise :D

No, not that bad... it's like the background music at an old rock concert, trying to talk and smoke through it til they get to a song with some groove : )

Here's an oldie and goldie by a Slovenian acapala choir - Perpetuum Jazzile. It really has an amazing start as the choir simulates a thunderstorm with fingers, slaps and jumps! Here too below is the lyrical version.

Attachments:
Very pretty- I kept noticing the difference between how women and men express rhythm through their bodies, made me smile.

BTW, what they did in the beginning is the rainstorm circle activity. It is a nice one- PDF attached.
Attachments:
Great observation Ellen and probably has an element of truth though I do believe that cultural factors play an even larger role. I remember in my Anthropology days reading an obscure author who made his own branch of anthropology - kineseoanthropology, can't remember his name! It is the study of human movement..... However, ethnochoreology is the major branch that deals with dance and the only author I'm aware of is Sally Davis at the Univ. of Florida who has done a lot of research on this. . You might be able to google and get some info....

I knew there was a teachable activity in that intro! It was so impressive with such a large group and the way it was done....

David
That's an interesting field of study, but honestly, I wasn't thinking of any bigger truths, just enjoying the differences : D If I was going to think about it, I think physiology must also have a role. Did you ever try this experiment as a kid? I remember being a little shocked... something physical that I could do that no boy around could. Usually it was the other way around when it came to prowess. I wish I had an illustration, it is wordy to read, but so easy to try:

Here's what to do: Have a person stand 2 foot-lengths away from a wall, facing the wall. (A "foot length" is the length of that particular person's foot, with shoes on.) The person is to bend over at the hips and let his/ her head lean against the wall. Another person hands the first person a straight-back chair (with the chair's back toward the wall), and the first person is to lift the chair, keeping his/her head against the wall. With the chair in the lifted position, the person is to straighten up. Most females can do it, but most males can not.

Tik L. Liem explains that it is due to the differences in the center of gravity of males versus females, and also that males usually have longer feet than females. The male's center of gravity with the chair is out beyond his toes, while the female's center of gravity is above her foot.

Here's an interesting model of male and female gaits... I'll try to embed:

FULL SCREEN

...and a link to the Biomotion Lab at Queens University that produced the study.

That's all I got for now!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service