News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Online Course Management System - FREE. Would you use it?

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Mitchell Lee Feb 12. 7 Replies

I'd like to know how many teachers would use a completely free course management system , if offered here? Meaning, you can create a course there,…Continue

Tags: atutor, technology, online, ecourses, elearning

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16, 2019. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20, 2019. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27, 2019. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

About

I'd like to know how many teachers would use a completely free course management system , if offered here? Meaning, you can create a course there, invite students who register (all private) and make a course with content - videos, quizzes, marking, blogs, forums etc......

Let me know your thoughts about this. I know that as a profession, we are a roving bunch and many of our schools don't offer these tools. It would be a great place to offer a writing course, to get your students doing more "social" learning.

I have a great system already in place, I just need to know if there is a demand. Now that I've built it - will they come?????

Cheers,

David

Downloads: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds like a great idea for schools with long-term students.

We tend to get students who are more interested in speaking and communicating and who come for 2-3 weeks for a holiday/ language course. So in our case I doubt it would take off.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.
It depends on how easy it will be to use, on how reliable it will be, on the features it offers. Right now, in portugal, Moodle rules, and steps are being taken into trying out Joomla, but I see potential for EFL classes. Students might create their language ePortfolio, record their own voices, define permissions for their files, photos, and so on?
Please tell me more,as there may be some teachers willing to try it out.
JLucas
Yes, I guess it all depends on the school/classroom. I know here in Korea, there are many university classes. They would benefit from the students using a Course Management System in English. Many universities don't even think of this for their conversation classes.

Yes, all depends on the "ease of use" and functionality. I've really put a lot of thought into the different options available and will be going with what I consider the "best" for EFL. It will have audio drop box ability, even though it might take some time to set up (along with a fully private and free video conference room which I'll set up using RED5 flash.

I'll set up a sandbox for teachers to play in and see the features, later today. I'll post here. Initially those teachers who want to start a course and begin registration of students will just have to email me with a request (when you press "create a course" it will prompt you to send a message to me for permission). We will need this step to prevent a lot of "yahoos" using it for the wrong purposes. Teachers can create 3 levels of courses with content. Public (no reg. and anyone can take your course) Private (the public must request to be officially registered by the instructor) and Secure (on who the teacher invites can join/see/take the course).

More later, now I got work to do!

David
I've set up access for those wanting a "peek". The real thing will be up and going June 1st and I'll announce in our monthly newsletter. Go here - http://eflclassroom.com/ecourses

Anyone can browse courses (not much content yet!) and register. However, if you want to just take a look around and see what is there - use the ID/PW - eflclassroom / eflclassroom20! But best just to register yourself - takes only a few seconds.

All registered users can click "create a course" and then can request to become an instructor by sending a request and detailing what their course will be about (a few sentences). I"ll approve and BINGO! - you can start setting up your course, inviting students, setting the level of privacy etc...

I'll be providing more content and functionality soon but even right now, you can:

1. Use chat/forums/blogs with students
2. Keep a gradebook of each student
3. Easily make quizzes for students to do (they go in the gradebook)
4. Add content and pages. Your content can have embedded videos / links etc...anything a wiki or webpage would have
5. Export all your content. If you make a course and want to put on your own webpage or just print etc... export it in a handy .zip file.
6. Set up a payment process for your course. Users have to pay to enroll and this can be easily integrated with a few clicks - payment through Paypal .
7. LINK TO ALL THE CONTENT HERE ON EFL CLASSROOM FOR CREATING YOUR COURSE CONTENT!

More features to come including Google open meetings (a full video conference suite FREE - once I get the RED5flash server for this). Importing SCORM tests and others quizzes. Imported other premade courses from other content providers.

Go HERE - for student documentation

Go HERE - for instructor documentation

Or just hit the HELP in the top right corner for whatever page you are on.

Takes a bit to get your bearings but once you do - you'll find this a perfect CMS which can suit your needs. You don't have to belong to a big organization anymore to be able to offer your courses this way!

Keep letting me know what you think!

David
You can also play around with this DEMO. It is a sandbox. Then go to our courses which will give you full control, proper storage, functionality and community. Start building and providing your own courses today!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service