News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

About

Dear All,

For those who work at public school I guess you are aware that Summer/Winter camp is an obligation. For me, this is one of the hardest times of the year as there is alot of preperation that goes into making the camp.

I was wondering what ideas people have for their prospective camps. I am in a middle school and I am looking to trade ideas with people or swap materials.

For my previous winter camp I tried to give each day a theme e.g. art day, science day, newspaper day. I still have all my materials from my previous camp and I am looking to trade with anyone else.

Thanks

Downloads: 1321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm doing my first summer camp, but it's at a high school. I don't know how much your students use computers/ internet at your school, but a project to make a class web page in english might work. Because my students learn various software programs, the focus of my camp will be digital photography with a powerpoint presentation at the end of the camp. I hope it gave you some ideas.
MICHAEL,

Doing Olympic theme______ton of mateials on the net. Hope it helps.

Jude
Jude,

Are you middle school? Can you send me your material?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Mike,

I'm in Elementary school(GEPIK). Will lesson plan summer camp next week . Fyi,
Summer camp is a repeated and BIG topic. I hope others will share ideas and resources -- the actual "stuff" here. It will help so we all don't have to reinvent the wheel.

For myself, I try to concentrate on fun and ACTIVE stuff. Here are a few thoughts. See my attached summer camp lessons from several years ago.

** Crafts -- see the pop up cars in our RESOURCES - share area. Other craft activities.

** Games -- see the attached Zip Zap. This WORKS and they love it. Also, if you have a screen of course the ppt games - Price is right / BAAM / Top 5 / JEoparady etc...all found here. If you don't have a screen, I've attached the BAAM flash card game version. Play in groups the same way. Get BAAM and you are bankrupt. Each correct answer a set amount of money ($100?). All the regular guessing games, pictionary etc....

** Surveys. Give students questionnaires and they circulate around. See my lessons in a can thread and in particular the topics about questions.

** Projects -- Olympics is a great idea. I've attached Country Projects. Get them to make a presentation of a country and a poster. Posters are also good ideas. Travel posters work great and see the bogglesworld Movie poster idea.

** Plays !! The Little Mole play is a classic that I adapted. Find the video book and the play in our SHARE area....don't have time to look right now. But lots of other plays there....

** Debates / Presentations. If your students are a high enough level, this is great and I'll upload here a handy presentation blank which works well.

*** Reading. Form a club. Use the A-Z readers here and print them out and have them complete the worksheets too! Share these stories, they can even color them....hundreds of readers in our Share area....

I'll add more ideas and please others - keep them coming!

DD
Attachments:
Here are a few more activities that I mentioned...
Attachments:
Hmm. I don't know if this works, but in my area I am trying to organize an English Olympics where a bunch of different middle schools get together one day and compete for WHO IS THE BEST AT ENGLISH. I think it'll be fun. No particular advice or lesson plans I can dispense, though.
Guys, these are some GREAT ideas! I will be doing my 1st summer camp and its an away camp so it REALLY helps!
I thought I'd post up the best video I know of...from a summer camp. Camp Korea is probably the best known and this might give some new teachers who fall upon this discussion, some idea as to what a camp is....though -- this is a pretty BIG and well run camp!

Great thread. I'm doing "Phonics and Fun" and am also looking for good ideas. I'm using a game called "Running Dictation" and a variation of Bingo. Does anyone have any other ideas? I need two more 15-20 minute games. Thanks a lot!

hossenfeffer
Running dictation is not only a game; it's also a great way to act as an intemediary between the smallest parts of language learning (words, letters) and the larger parts (phrases, sentences). I like to use running dictation and some other matrix type activities where the students have all the pieces and are using some of the vocabulary they've learned and the context from A/V sources to recreate the sentences. This is a great in between step for a communicative lesson plan and can be done many ways! Running dictation is good, but there are others, such as sentence strip activites where the students arrange the sentences into the right order (or you can cut them in half and make it a true sentence building activity). WIll write more later gotta run to my Korean lesson.
Thanks Nelson! I liked your idea of of splitting words in half and mixing up sentences. I've done that before but I never thought of integrating that into a phonology lesson plan. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service