News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

About

These are almost any foreign teachers nightmare. I used to dread those long reading passages.
Lately I've been thinking of ways to make these activities more interesting for the students.

Peer Dictation- This is something I picked up from "Tell Me More" by Andrew Finch. I have to admit the first time I saw this activity I thought there was no way it would possibly work with Korean students. While it does get noisy the majority of the noise is in English. The NET should paste a paragraph on the board and students compete in teams to rewrite the section.

Sentence Strips- You cut up the passage. Place the strips into a balloon have the different teams burst the ballons and then put the passage back together.

Erase Activity- Write the Passage on the board. Have the students read through the passage. Then erase several words. Have the students read it again then erase several more words. Continue doing this until almost all of the passage is gone.

Downloads: 552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds a LOT more fun this way, Headrick. Trying to teach reading long passages from textbooks is painful in any language : ).

In the erase activity, I'm assuming the students try to remember what was written, after you erase the words?What a great way to work on remembering a passage, even when it is in your first language!

The one thing I'd be careful about Headrich is "the memorization syndrome". By that I mean, students shouldn't if possible, be encouraged to remember passages. It should be about "meaning" and getting the main point and MOST importantly, remixing that story/passage into their own brain and map of the world. So I'd go with reading response for this sort of thing. Have them respond to the passage, respond in their own way.

Ask questions like these ones below.... Also, retelling in their own words. Just simple sentences highlighting the main ideas.

Your ideas are a great start! It gets them interacting with the text and in a fun way (like the running dictation). But it has to go further to say you are "teaching" the text (which really suggests they are "learning" the text). Fantastic ideas for teachers!

Yeah, I kept thinking when I would actually use it (the erase method).... to remember a passage by Shakespeare? (I remember my father being able to do that at the dinner table... it sounded sooo good!) To prove to students that they can memorize something if they need to? That can provide a lot of confidence, and is a very useful skill in the higher sciences... But again, I'm not talking about EFL :D

sorry...

Headrick, David's reading response questions (yes, he made them himself) are the best. It is the one thing, after more than a year on ning, that I am sure I will use if/when I have my own classroom again... I won't forget to dig up those!
Thanks, this got the gears turning.
You can also do a jigsaw... Split the passage up into three or four parts, split the students into groups. Each can read only his part, then they have to answer comprehension questions together...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service