News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products           Gif Lingua Books

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 17, 2018. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Stories to inspire and teach. Share yours.

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Jun 10, 2018. 79 Replies

I'd like to share in this forum and would like others to share, short stories that might apply to education / teaching and that will inspire. I believe stories and a narrative are powerful, whether…Continue

Tags: hodja, tao, zen, professional_development, storytelling

About

As 2008 comes to a close and we are inundated with "best of" lists, I thought it might be handy to compile our own list here, from sites that EFL members have personally checked out and found worthwhile. Best of all (for me), this thread can serve as a storage point for links as we want to refer back to these resources in the coming year, but can't remember where we found or put them!

The most comprehensive and informative slide show I have seen to date comes from The New York Times, 2008- The Year in Pictures.

The show is divided into 8 sections.

The interesting aspect of this slideshow is its depth and interactivity. All the photos have captions that help put the image in context.

Many of the photos have a "related" button, that sends the viewer to more images and articles about the subject, and some photos also have an "audio" button that when clicked plays a file of the photographer describing the circumstances around taking the photograph.

There are 160 front photos in The World section, with many more images and articles embedded in the program. That's what I call a useful and informative archival system! BUT, I had to play around in photoshop to even grab a usable screen capture, saving the screen capture first as a PSD image before I could even crop. Is this a new level of filtering?

While The BIG Picture wins hands down for quality of images and downloading ease, I like how this slideshow is integrated with the NYT database, so we can access the story behind the image with one click.

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This next site is plain old entertaining, especially if your mind enjoys a twist for the whacky: The New York Times Magazine, Year in Ideas 2008.

Arranged in alphabetical order, you can scroll over each letter for a preview of the articles. I found this site through Larry's Blog- thanks again, Larry!
Ellen,

Great resources and as I build the Current Events in the Classroom page - I'll be adding these.

I'm a fan of the N.Y. Times Lesson of the Day. I've highlighted this before in our websites of the day forum. However, there is more to the times than meets the eye. They also have these lessons in handy categories. Further, check the links on the left, lots to help there. (Word of the Day , Snapshot etc...). See this article - The Buzzwords of 2008. Neat and nice presentation. So many of these are further proof of my belief that the major change in the English language is one of nounification. Verbs being used as and changed permanently into nouns (ie. email became email years ago. We now hardly ever "send" email).

They also have some handy tools for learners. A built in dictionary and also map - just click on any geographical term that is highlighted and it takes you to a map showing that. See the examples through their informative - 40 Ways to use the N.Y. Times. I've attached a hard copy from our own resource archive.

I really miss my weekend Times! Thank god for the computer/net. I remember teaching in "Czechoslovakia" and having to time it perfectly to get to the tabacco stand and get the one copy of the "European" (that marvellous paper that initiated the EU before anyone had the idea of it) before it was scooped up by some lucky tourist. .... ah, "times" have changed.
Attachments:
David, so much to learn and keep up with! I now have 4 tabs in my browser open to pages I gleaned from your suggestions today (waiting til I settle down enough to focus on them), as well as a nice Scientific American article I printed out from a suggestion from Ian, One World, Many Minds: Intelligence in the Animal Kingdom! :D

Ok, my function, as I see it, is to take the resources that catch my attention and try to present them again in a way that facilitates others discovery and interest in them :D Maybe do a mash-up here and there, that's it!
David, the Classroom Activities with The Times site is great! (40 ways to use the NY Times) The Lesson of the Day looks great too, I need more time to explore. Ken was asking about ways to use 2008 in Pictures in the classroom, maybe the Times page can give him some ideas. Great resources, I think the new current events page will be a big hit!
Thanks Ellen. I love the "Year in Ideas" -- one thing I never run out of , others tell me.

I hope teachers will use the current events page. If only one does occassionally, it will be worth it. I grew up a strange kid, reading voraciously when 8-9, copies of the "World Press Review" we got at our house (no TV). I carried around a briefcase someone gave me, full of them. On the case was a map of the world on both sides. I'd challenge anyone who'd listen to quiz me on the capitals etc...lol!

But seriously, I really believe that teaching English is an opportunity, even more so than the regular classroom teacher, an opportunity to open kids to the world "en large" and other ways people live and exist. This can only help our world, I truly believe in its revelatory power. TV isn't enough, it has to be done with a human touch.....even better, a caring teacher's.
Thank youuuuuuu, this is GR8T material to work with in the classroom. Besides, it connects our sts with global issues, a must nowadays.
I would like to include this site in the best of the best of 2008, at least to me, with a whale of a collection of links, data, videos, resources, etc.

In exchange for so many gifts I wnt to share this website by a Spanish teacher of EFL, it's awsome!

http://www.isabelperez.com/. Have a look inside and enjoy the ride.

Happy New Year to you and all the EFL Classroom community!

Rosa (lolamento)
I thought I'd store this here - in this conversation. The newest BAAM game as a way to review the events of 2008 (what I consider the main events !!!!). Students must guess the Month and/or Country (both for double the money).
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service