News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16, 2019. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20, 2019. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27, 2019. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

About

Ning on July 20th will change their pricing policy.  This will mean our costs will increase dramatically.  

So far, I've been paying everything and I don't mind that! But I can see a time/date in the future where it will become increasingly expensive. Plus hard on my own time to maintain as the community gets larger. 

So I'm asking for your own thoughts about the community and I will share in this discussion info. about how much it presently costs and the time commitment involved. Also, what pressures/demands will be put on us in the future. 

All your thoughts and ideas are welcomed! Please let us know your feelings, either specifics about us or thoughts about costs and social networking/Web 2.0 in general. 

But rest assured, it is my promise that we will always be around and always be free and current!

Here is a very brief breakdown of the costs of our network at present and with the new Ning. 

Presently: 

19.99/month Premium fee.  Unlimited storage.  Store files/videos. 
7.99/ month. Remove Ning labels and use our own url http://eflclassroom.com 
160/year for EFL Classroom server on bluehost. (to store public documents, run videos and applications etc..)
24/year - chat box
10/year - Quizlet Pro flashcard account
One time fees:  Longtail video / Wimpey video players =  $150  
[ widget labs applications that went defunct with Ning changes - $600 ]

--- $140 in donations! Yes, previously 2 people did contribute the few times I had put up a "donate" button. 

After July 20th

49.99/month. Premium fee.  Plus extra bandwidth (still waiting on Ning to determine this but they will hit us with a charge. In total we have over 200 GB storage (the 49.99 fee only includes 20 GB free). Bandwidth should be within the free limits.

All other fees same as above..... 

Downloads: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like that a lot- great thinking cap. Besides being a little altruistic, I think it would also be more effective. I know I'd be more likely to donate ; )

Also, can there be a way for people to donate anonymously?
Thank you, Bea! I am not too worried as I have them all on my computer. It's just that discussions here will be disrupted as those nings where I uploaded the videos fold and the videos disappear... way too much work to go through to see which conversations are affected- I'll just reupload when I notice an important gap...
c'est la vie

Bea, we could use your and others help greeting new members... that's what I did for awhile... it's fun and you can contribute without committing a vast amount of time : ) Use a form greeting, personalize it a bit as you see fit... really helps people feel welcome. Just a thought - no pressure ; )
Ellen,

Of course, it will always be anonymous. I also think I should put together a nice ebook only for those who donate.

But I will wait to see what kind of donation options Ning will come out with on July 20th. Let me look into it. I will also talk to Mike and if we do decide to donate in this fashion, we will need a lot of background info. etc... to know that we are ACTUALLY donating to a real human being. I don't want it done like so many "charities" - I'd want members who donate to know exactly where their small donations go....

Good idea about greeters - that is what I feel the community is missing, since we started getting so large and you and I just didn't have the time... I actually did enjoy it too, made me know the membership ....
Hi Ellen,

More than happy to greet new members! :)
I think it's a very nice idea, David...
This website is well worth a monthly donation, or monthly membership fee! Think of all the time we teachers save by using it. Also, think of all the good ideas that are shared. It's the best EFL/ESL teaching website on the Internet, in my opinion. Yes, I love 'Real English" and others, but this is the site that let me know about their existance and provided the links, which is what makes it so valuable.
Donna,

Thanks for your comment. You highlight an important reason and rationale for our existence. There is just "SO MUCH" out there and with the constant influx of new teachers into our profession, I saw how vital was the need to keep them informed of not just technology and its use but a lot of other basic things.

So many other sites seemed to keep everything "to themselves" and treated everything as a "trade secret" , wishing to get teachers to sit and depend on their own site. Islands that didn't connect.

I'm thinking things over and in Aug. we will see what kind of model will develop. We might soon have the ability to make some pages public, some not, restrict certain content etc... that might be a way to create different levels of users and generate fees. But I don't know yet, we'll see..... At the end of the day, I prefer people just donating until we have our fees covered....
At the end of the day, I prefer people just donating until we have our fees covered....

Me too!!! Also a big me too with keeping EFL Classroom open with a share with one, share with all attitude. That core value is what brought me here : )

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service