News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Online Course Management System - FREE. Would you use it?

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Mitchell Lee Feb 12. 7 Replies

I'd like to know how many teachers would use a completely free course management system , if offered here? Meaning, you can create a course there,…Continue

Tags: atutor, technology, online, ecourses, elearning

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16, 2019. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20, 2019. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27, 2019. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

About

Hi guys!

Can you think of and disadvantages os using technology?
Maybe you have some reservations?
Has it ever dissapointed you?

Will appreciate every comment :)
Thanks

Downloads: 508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

in my country, Indonesia, the technology that we use easily are computer, OHP, and LCD projector unfortunately some teachers from remote school area can't operate these technology even some teachers from well-known schools still 'blind' with these because most of them are old teachers where in their era they didn't have chance to expose themselves to these things.
You are right Oktari that some old people are frightened even to try something new and that is a shame. But sometimes it is not an age thing but a certain kind of person. Other times it is just easier to do things the way you always did them in the past without too much effort, especially if you are afraid there will be a technical problem and everything will break down and then you will lose control of the situation with the students. Also some older people don't like the idea that the students know more about the technology than them!
I think in this case old people are like all learners new to a subject- you need to show them the benefits of learning the technology. These reasons might be different from a younger person. For example, I've never become proficient with texting because I just don't use it in my life, except to text 143 to my kids (ha ha, know what that means?) What will at least pique my curiosity is when someone makes a post about texting abbreviations. That becomes like a game or a code to me, and I want to see if I can make it out. Also, I like to know what other people are talking about- hate to be left out : ).

Once broadband made sending larger files less burdensome, a lot of grandmas got very proficient at sending photos of their grandchildren through the email, because it interested them. And once you could buy goods online, women, who previously comprised only 20% of internet users, flocked to the net, where we are now the slight majority of users (hmm, I wonder what was the big draw for men before that? :D)

In my family, my (grown) kids still ask me how to post or find this or that on the computer, though I did learn how to use torrents from an 18 year old in a photoshop class I took several years ago. Part of my kids requests come from "mom, do it for me" laziness (but Mom, you're so good at it), but I also have a broader interest in all sorts of materials you can find on the net (not just music), so I am better at it.

On the other hand, I will never be as fast as Adele, my oldest, in using Photoshop. Or for that matter, I will never click as quickly as my kids. It always takes me a bit more thought. Sometimes that is helpful, I take the time to slow down and read what I am doing, while they get frustrated that what they want hasn't just appeared before their eyes. Both ways are good. I admire their speed, because once they know what they want, there's no way I can keep up. But my patience and willingness to dink around to figuring things out is useful and occasionally impresses them.

I'm not scolding here, just trying to express that there is beauty in all ways. Sometimes it's hard to figure out why an older teacher isn't taking to technology, but there's always a reason why that makes sense to them. And an experienced, devoted teacher is a treasure chest of how to teach. Sometimes what they have to offer just stuns me in how good it is, the depth of their thinking, and how smart it is to be teaching children that.
I was just glancing through this discussion again, and Anita, I owe you an apology. I really was being cranky!

I think at the time we had a few people "using" EFL Classroom for commercial purposes, and I was overly sensitive to it (I am a mama bear regarding this site in that way- sometimes I go overboard, but it is with love <3)

You, on the other hand, handled my crankiness with grace. Thank you : )
Hi all
can anybody suggest any site where i can find some literary text with relevant audio, visual and image links for classroom teaching at any level....??
For myself, I've found it's mostly cobbled together from many sites. Here is a great excerpt from a story for older kids, Part-Time Indian by Alexie Sherman.

For younger kids, I've found some great stories at Storyline Online. Also, right here on EFL Classroom, David has uploaded tons of stories with audio... I'm not sure what tag to use in the search... try stories?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service