News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

About

These are some winter camps my wife and I have been working on...

Downloads: 1036

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A work of art! A THING OF BEAUTY! You guys are CRAZY! Crazy good, that is. Do you know that somewhere, teachers get paid good money to create these things? Ok, I don't know exactly where, but I have bought curriculum of this quality. Whenever a teacher says she paid money for something, you know you've got something special.

I absolutely can't wait to see what curriculum you and your wife (you know, she really should have a name) come up with next.

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!
Have you tried it yet? Are you going to try it now (soon)? You must write up how it went. And take pictures : )

David, we must have a new page (section in our library) for winter camp ideas (simulations!)
David,

Great work on your part. I'm adapting some of your ideas for my Winter Camp.

Jude
I love this idea! I want to do this for summer camp!
what an incredibly creative camp - I think I found some ideas to try at my Winter camp
David,

Don't listen to Ellen!!!! (Except for the quality of this). Wow! I will comment more later but really send my honor your way at seeing the necessity and power of sharing these ideas. You aren't just sharing material but also inspiring and spreading knowledge. At this Christmas time, that's the gift and how we have the "so much" we do have. Because of knowledge and how it hasn't been coveted and commoditized but spread to empower so many, everywhere. That's the real spirit of education and which is Christmas.

Enough of this speech. Thank you and back to my wonderful Xmas dinner, which I'm as grateful for as knowledge!!!

David
It was a compliment David! I wasn't trying to make him go commercial!

Ok, what I meant to say is, anytime I have bought curriculum, it has been because I truly didn't think I could come up with something as good... and anyone who knows me knows I don't tend to underestimate myself that way :D

This winter camp curriculum is better than what I would come up with myself : ) No question about it.
I like the progression of ideas very much and the wind down at the end of the day. There are many ideas to use outright or adapt. Thank you so much. You could add another challenge - make a snow shoe from string and wood, after placing a weight on top of it, see how long it will stay on the surface of a mix of corn starch and water. The longest time afloat wins.
Really cool lesson. For only 3hrs a day the kids should get their fill of excitement. I just finished a winter camp where we were doing 12 hour days(including lunch and dinner) and the one thing i thought was missing was useful engaging outdoor activities. Thanks for sharing
Hey everyone, I'm Davids wife,

Happy New Year

...think its great we have a forum like EFL where we can share materials, ideas, ect...

Appreciate your comments and ideas, we are new to this and look forward learning and sharing more with you all...

hope you have an amazing year
I've been using the 'knot' idea - it's the most absorbed the students have been.
And listening to them, as they desperately spell out the name of the knot from the board,
is joy to my ears - no coaxing necessary.
Thank you so much for sharing this
Looks like a great plan but just a few bits of clarification...

In part 1 you hide bags. So if there are 4 teams and bags numbered 1-9 you would hide 36 bags + bonus ones. You place the bags randomly around the school and say ... GO! The students look around the school and try to find them. This takes maybe 10-15 minutes. Then you say you explain what each of the items is used for. How does that not intrude on the next part?

Some of the materials such as the first aid instructions seem to be missing. Are they available somewhere?
Great ideas David!
I'm especially keen on trying out the twig raft and the knot-tying ideas. My students are all adults,
but I see no reason at all why they wouldn't get as much out of these activities (if not more) than
the younger learners. Even without the scavenger hunt, these can easily be adapted to make
information exchange activities for language practice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service