Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products           Gif Lingua Books

Earn A TEFL Certificate

TEACH WITH Gif Lingua

Best Video Lessons

Teaching Tips

Become a Patron

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Our Weekly Magazine

Music

Loading…

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 17. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Stories to inspire and teach. Share yours.

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Jun 10. 79 Replies

I'd like to share in this forum and would like others to share, short stories that might apply to education / teaching and that will inspire. I believe stories and a narrative are powerful, whether…Continue

Tags: hodja, tao, zen, professional_development, storytelling

Favorite Movie about Teaching?

Started by ddeubel in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Apr 23. 88 Replies

I'd like to compile a list of movies…Continue

Tags: best, video, film, teaching, movie

Learning Communities

Started by Allan Richards in Teaching and Methodology Oct 27, 2017. 0 Replies

Hey everyone!I am new to the forum and am curious how you feel learning communities benefit educators when it comes to developing a collective responsibility as educators. Do you feel a forum like…Continue

About

Today I offer a very good way to get low level students to practice and learn the target language. BATTLESHIP.

Play first as a whole class, teams guessing. Later the students play in pairs. Draw a grid equal to the battleship grid on the board. Prepare 6 ships on your own hidden paper. (2 3 squares, 2-4 squares , 2-5 squares. Only horizontal or vertical.

This powerpoint might help explain the concept to the whole class.

Students from each team ask you, using the target language and try to get a "hit". If they hit, they continue and get a point. If they sink a ship, scream "Battleship" and they get the amount of points the ship is worth (3, 4 or 5) plus the point for the hit. But then they must stop guessing, next team's turn. Continue until all battleships are sunk. Team with the most points wins.

Then have the students draw their own ships in and play, using the bottom grid. Circulate and help as necessary. I even got a few classes who loved the game, making their own cardboard battleship holders. Just fold hard/thick cardboard and staple together. They glue or paper clip their sheet to the board and play, their paper well hidden. Works like a charm . Here, attached is one sheet. Find many more HERE and HERE.. Enjoy! Can be prepared by any teacher and used for any grammatical target language....be inventive!

Use this editable template to make your own game for practicing any grammar or vocabulary. 

Views: 1127

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I played this with great success the other day so thanks very much for putting it up. This is an absolute gem of a site which I always recommend to my fellow teachers. Keep up the good work.

I'm an EPIK teacher in Korea and I put all my lesson plans on my blog for anyone who needs them.
My blog
Hi James,

That looks like a very useful blog! I'm sure many teachers here will appreciate your efforts and your sharing! I see it has already been added to our blog rolls : )
James,

Second Ellen's thoughts. I enjoyed your post on co-teaching and am doing some research right now for a book coming out early next year. Will be in touch to ask some things later, if you don't mind.

You might let others know about your blog through a blog post here too Or put it up in the Korea resources section..... glad battleship was useful. I even made cardboard barriers for the class which the kids found cool when playing.

Cheers,
David
Hi David,
I'd be more than happy to help. I saw you present at the February EPIK orientation and stole more or less all of your ideas so I'm sure I can return the favour.

Thanks
I've moved the blog to strange-lands.com now.

Here are some more pre-made battleship games.

BattleshipmrDfuture.pdf    BATTLESHIPJOBS.pdf    tensesbattleship.pdf   

Attachments:

A few more Battleship games.

Attachments:

Have used this game for irregular verbs. Even though it takes about 40mins of class-time, the learners really enjoy it and I believe they get used to the irregular verbs rather easily... 

here is another battleship template to use.  Really easy to get students making their own games. 

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service