EnglishCentral      Weekly Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Member TESOL Certificate           Gif Lingua Books

65,000+ Members! Join Us!

TEACH WITH ENGLISHCENTRAL

What We Offer

Video Lessons Player

Study Music

Photos

• Add Photos

Our Weekly Magazine

New Content

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

Learning Communities

Started by Allan Richards in Teaching and Methodology Oct 27. 0 Replies

Hey everyone!I am new to the forum and am curious how you feel learning communities benefit educators when it comes to developing a collective responsibility as educators. Do you feel a forum like…Continue

Implementation

Started by Christina Shepherd in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Oct 26. 1 Reply

How does implementation help you out throughout the year? I am curious to know what things have worked for you and what things have not worked for you through an implementation standard.  Continue

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 19. 76 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Top 5 Game

Started by susie silver in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by ddeubel Sep 17. 14 Replies

Hi David Maybe its obvious to some but I'm not sure how to play and I also want to create a top 5 game as well. What is the point of it. There are always 5 answers. Do the students guess according to…Continue

Tags: 5, top

Badge

Loading…

About

Find here all the student created content (SCC - read more about it here) related lesson sheets for use in classrooms. 

These worksheets are easy to use and provide practice for multi level classrooms. Stay tuned for a textbook, in an ebook style that will contain many of these worksheet ideas - reworked. Low cost and you can print as many as you want for your students. 

Feedback on how you used any of these materials, much appreciated. 

Views: 171

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Additional Materials
Attachments:
In my classroom, it has been important to slowly work on returning some of the responsibility for making meaningful content to my students before making as a big of a switch as I would like. Understandably, many of my students have been trained to be consumers of lesson content, which, in my opinion, has made language learning a particularly difficult experience. In the EFL context, students do not have natural opportunities to make their own sentences in a variety of settings. To them it seems that sentences come in chunks with rigid word orders and vocabulary. Student created content has the possibility of not only making content meaningful, but also providing a time for creativity in a foreign language.

To ease into this style, I have provided most of the materials while leaving some parts blank for students to contribute. For instance, in a jigsaw activity, having students make some of the sentences that will ultimately be split into two parts. But, honestly, I do not feel that this scaffolding has been quite enough to work towards some of these activities you provided here. What would you (and others in the community) have to suggest to help students to take back their leadership in their learning?

For reference, I teach elementary students in Korea at a beginning to pre-intermediate (if those terms mean anything) level of language proficiency.
Thaddeus,

I think that's a smart approach. Just leaving some content for students to complete and "think" about - can be a good stepping stone to them realizing that there is more than being a passive consumer in the educational process.

I also want with my book - to have it so it can be a true record of a student's work. A product that the student made rather than "got through", a kind of portfolio in a word. I think this too, is one of the benefits of using scc activities - when put in a portfolio they record student achievement.
A few more...
Attachments:
Hi,

Cool and very useful materials. Thanks.

I'm very interested in this too but coming from a constructivist point of view like facebook, myspace, or any other social networks where all the users are creating the content. I think it's a very exciting idea and has a lot of possibilities.

Malachy
Malachy,

Yes, my approach would make Bruner or Dewey proud. I'll be coming out with the essay but even more revealing - a simple "how to" guide that any teacher can follow for lesson delivery. I really believe if we can master lesson delivery in terms of content/activity - then teachers can focus on the finer and most important facets of teaching - namely monitoring students for learning and formative assessment so to better meet learner needs.

Stay tuned, first draft is near done with the guide. I look forward to what others think about my lesson delivery framework.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service