Here are many resources for any teacher to use to teach about current events.
1. Try these fun BBC Newrsound videos with the attached 5W sheet. Students fill in the 5Ws for one of the stories. Rewatch to check the answers, pausing.
2. Gif Lingua has weekly readers about the news of each week. show them every Monday to your students and review. A great way to present the news and stop and discuss the issues in class. More here ...
3. Why not have students design a mini newspaper. See the attached graphic organizer.
4. The attached "news" pdf has loads of newspaper related worksheets and activities for the classroom.
5. See these resources and videos related to "Fake News".
Here are some nice discussion cards to use and have an interesting speaking class about "the news".
In groups, students choose a card and then ask someone in the group or answer it themselves. Make sure to encourage students to ask follow up questions for each discussion card question.
Like these cards? Get many more sets on many topics with our Get Speaking Conversation Card Premium Resource. Your support is appreciated!
I used to make these kinds of worksheets from the local newspaper. Cut out the headline and lead paragraph of a newspaper story and paste it on a piece of paper. Do this for more and you have a nice matching headline with story activity sheet!
Here is one not so well made but useful for higher levels.