Hey everyone!I am new to the forum and am curious how you feel learning communities benefit educators when it comes to developing a collective responsibility as educators. Do you feel a forum like…Continue
Hi David Maybe its obvious to some but I'm not sure how to play and I also want to create a top 5 game as well. What is the point of it. There are always 5 answers. Do the students guess according to…Continue
This is a 60MB file that I made from an episode of Button Moon, a British teleivision show that aired in the UK during the 1980s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_Moon. I personally never watched the show, but having seen it recently I've fallen in love with it. This video is intended for very young audiences. In Korea, students above 3rd grade will find this completely boring and childish. *maybe* I used it in parallel a chapter entitled "I like apples" because it talks about various fruits and vegetables. My 3rd graders really liked it. They didn't love it though.
It runs approximately 10 minutes and has your standard controls, play/pause/stop/rewind/fast forward and some additional ones, "captions" (because it's really helpful), and "fullscreen". The rewind and fastforward buttons will take you back or forward, respectively 10 seconds.
Us native speakers should be able to pause the movie and really talk a lot about the different kinds of fruits, differing vegetable names (UK->US), and other things you'll encounter while watching. I easily made it last about 15 minutes. It's great after a loud game to get them calmed down and ready to line up.
I really liked this video (if you couldn't tell) and if anyone's seen this or any of these before they will understand. Additionally If anyone would like me to make more of these, which I'm already planning on doing anyway. Hehehehe. Just let me know.
--Technical stuff-- This episode is called Storks (s01e06) and it originally aired January 12, 1981. I worked painstakingly hard to get this template working in Flash. It took at least 8 full working hours, mostly looking stuff up and trial and error. I had to convert the original 100 MB file from AVI to FLV, rip out the audio, chop the video up into 10 pieces, finally importing it into the Flash IDE. Create the subs by listening to the mp3 that I'd ripped and then positioning them along the timeline when spoken. Of course watching it about 20 times helped, making sure the subs looked good and everything was in sync. I used resource hacker to create the custom icon and take out some other stuff, it didn't change the file size as I had originally hoped though. Compile time for the 200MB raw file to the 60MB binary was ridiculously slow. Although, I am surprised that I got THAT small considering the original video at about 510x384 is 100MB and my version 736x546 is 55MB with no noticeable loss of quality. The movie does have three or four glitches here and there but it otherwise looks unbelievably good.