Earth. It is such an important concept and relationship for students. A must to use in our curriculum, I don't care what you teach. Take the opportunity to do something with your class this Earth Day, this spring! Revel in the gift that she gives, mother earth.
Here are some resources, videos, ideas you might use or that might spark a lesson. Also see our"earth" tagged resources on Gif Lingua.
My fav. videos.
HOME is a definite classic now. This video really gives an appreciation of the variety and abundance of our earth.
The Pale Blue Dot. Here is the transcript. Use this amazing kinetic typography video along with the original video. Another teacher, has a nice version too, translated into Farsi - find it here.
The Story of Stuff. Educational materials also there. A perfect documentary showing how we must change our relationship with mother earth.
Cosmic Zoom. Outstanding way to show the vastness of this world.
My fav. sites.
Geography at the Movies. Browse their archive for great geography related, teacher made and produced video and content.
One Day in the World. I participated in this project. (find my video in Vancouver! Granville St.). Browse the map and choose authentic video all shot on 10/10/10 to celebrate the earth!
Time Lapse photography. Take your pic - I love this one of a forest and many seasons.
Animal Face-off. Really cool resources using videos from the acclaimed TV program.
Get all the "earth day" videos on EFL Classroom 2.0
My fav. ideas for lessons.
1. Get out of the classroom if possible. Field trips, excursions, pick up garbage in the school yard. But speak English!
2. The 3 Rs. Do a lesson plan around Reduce | Reuse | Recycle. Students simply brainstorm ideas and make a poster to present to the class. How can your school do better?
3. Make a mini book. Students fold one piece of paper, make a book called, MY EARTH. Students draw pictures, label, the things that make their earth important.
4. REAL English. Write a letter to a member of parliament, the UN., the WWW, about what you want our leaders to do. Save animals, plant trees, fight pollution. The ideas are important and students will get motivated by a REAL task.
5. Here are some worksheets to print and use for this topic.
Other links / things.
1. The World Sunlight Map.
2. World Stats clock. Social Media world stats.
3. Games: Climate Challenge. | Sweat Shoe shop | 3rd World Farmer
4. Songs: Earth Song. | We are the World | Big Yellow Taxi | What a Wonderful World | Beds are Burning
So many ideas! Share your own......
Add a Remark