News Magazine         Read The Latest Newsletter       New Resources        Our Premium Products

Get Printables / Resources

Video Lesson

Flashcards!

The Ultimate Resource

Pop Song eBook

Our Weekly Magazine

Guess The Movie Cards

Project Peace

Resources And Discussion

SITE OF THE DAY - HUNDREDS OF THE "BEST" - Teaching Recipes

Started by ddeubel in Websites / links / access to new resources / communities.. Last reply by Nadeem Nawaz Jul 16, 2019. 102 Replies

We are now in our 3rd edition of "Site of the Day"! Hundreds of the best sites for teaching/learning. See #1 and…Continue

Tags: collection, list, web 2.0, resources, websites

ABCs - Alphabet Resources or Ideas?

Started by NEWS NOW in Teaching and Methodology. Last reply by Amelia Meirizka Jun 20, 2019. 73 Replies

I guess the alphabet is our bread and butter.Got any good ideas for teaching it or using it…Continue

Tags: children, abc, kids, phonics, reading

Learning Designs

Started by Elise in Teaching and Methodology Mar 27, 2019. 0 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought of learning designs pertaining to English language teaching? What are the ways in which you design your lessons to achieve better learning in your students?Continue

A NEW way to teach PHRASAL VERBS so that your students understand and remember them

Started by Andromeda Jones in Teaching and Methodology Dec 31, 2018. 0 Replies

Phrasal verbs are a verb + preposition, adverb or particle. Teaching…Continue

Tags: prepositions, teach, verbs, phrasal

About

Do Schools Kill Creativity?

Ken Robinson speaking at the TED lectures. Very witty, funny, engaging. Full of thought provoking ideas. See all the TED talks on our TED TALKS player, up to the date and in HD!
http://eflclassroom.ning.com/Wpage/ted-talks

Downloads: 213

Favorite of 2 people

Supporter
Comment by Rasid Harun on April 18, 2008 at 4:50pm
"Creativity is central souce of meaning in our lives for several reasons....... First, most of the things that are interesting, important, and human are the results of creativity. We share 98 percent of our genetic makeup with chimpanzees.... Without creativity, it would be difficult indeed to distinguish humans from apes."

- "Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi'

"It's really amazing what people can do. Only they don't know what they can do.'

- 'Sidney Rosen.'

David,

Harvard Phychologist Howard Garner wrote about multiple Intelligences in His book 'Frame of Minds'
about 20 years ago.

He mentioned about 7 inteligences, linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical, bodily kinestatic, visual-spatial, interpersonal and intrapersonal. Is our cariculum, blue-print or what ever it's called, takes into consideration all these inteligences. If not what Ken said is true.

Supporter
Comment by Linda Fitzgibbon on April 17, 2009 at 5:57am
I think what distinguishes us from apes is something called a soul.

Supporter
Comment by Galina on August 18, 2009 at 6:54am
Linda, do you doubt apes have a soul??

Supporter
Comment by Na Ima on October 7, 2009 at 7:34pm
David, Thanks a lot for the share! The headline could be: Can Teachers save the Kids´Creativity!? (the school system is counterproductive in one or another term).

Absolutely a contribution in my taste! ("feel however a bit sorry for Sarah" not nice to discredit someone who can not defend him-/ herself! even when a joke - the wife can always give him a boiler one or an other place :-)!)

Briefly: Very insightful! - should be thought provoking for all oppressive and reactionary forces. Without creativity and free dito no education/ "formation" and No Sustainable Development! A holistic and interdependent perspective is A and O! "Brain-body-x-form". Back into Creativity again! Out of the chain locks! Let our kids stay creative and free!

The current education system is the consequence of the "imperial and industrial needs but also ordered by the "male rather than female thinking" - So let us re-take account of our human gifts, "our bottoms beside our tops" and the diversity, open mindness! Let us further look ahead to prepare our children for a better future.

Best rgds, Naima

Supporter
Comment by ddeubel on October 7, 2009 at 11:11pm
Naima,

Yes, agree fully. This talk is a MUST for any person, let alone teacher. Light and Serious. Enjoyable and Thoughtful. Perfect. He recently spoke at a peace conference in Vancouver, it also was brillant. I'll try to find the video to share.

But the message is clear. Let our students "muck about " and explore more - discovery learning. We keep them in a straight jacket in our schools too often.

David
Comment by Ellen Pham on October 8, 2009 at 2:07am
Hi Everybody- looks like this thread is hopping (well, if I take into account the earlier comments too : )) There's a discussion on Fireside Learning on the dehumanizing of education... the paper the discussion focuses (Dehumanized by Mark Slouka) is very good.

Rasid, Linda, Galina, I was just thinking about Gardner and multiple intelligences and wondering if he/ his followers had added something to do with a spiritual intelligence... I know they added a naturalist intelligence to the list. So after seeing someone else was thinking about that too, I googled it :D and he did struggle with that one, considered adding "Existential Intelligence" or "Moral Intelligence", but decided not to, it was just too hard to pin down and to prone for abuse by others. This is the INFED article I scanned for info on Gardner.

Supporter
Comment by Na Ima on October 8, 2009 at 7:04pm
Wow I am really impressed by your dedication and "avantgardism"! And suddenly I realise that amongst you "I feel @ home!"

David/ Ellen Thanks again, for your dedicated engagement! Really! Very appreciated!

"Dehuminazed humans", "Enslaved souls" - from time to an other very scaring! Really very scaring! Categorizing! Depriving!

- whith the internet I tend to think that "our" potential to connect and re-connect "our cables" is so huge compared to any other generation before us, and what do we do with or about that?!

Ellen: Interesting links and articles! and I will read them again and certainly get back for more reflections!/ discussions. My spontaneous reaction is that we have to cooperate and find a respectuos, holistic and "multi-latero-vertical/ = spherique intelligence"!

Perhaps there’s still time to reinstate the qualifier to its glory, to invest our capital in what makes us human. - I like that!!!

David: It would be great if you find and share the peace conference video!

Best rgds, Naima

Supporter
Comment by EFL Classroom on January 3, 2011 at 12:59am

Here is an RSA video in pictures of Ken Robinson's main ideas... very watchable.

<center>

Add a Remark

Comments Welcome!   Sign in or register.

Join EFL Classroom

© 2020   Created by ddeubel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service